3ft Pecan Crotch cut with 32" Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What does the other side look like?
Note. The first photo above was flipped from left to right because I was trying out the photo editing software installed on my iPad right before posting.

Here is the back side. On second look there could be some flame figure in the middle, but I won't know for sure until it's cut open.
PXL_20220119_044313440.MP.jpg

Here's some of the pecan milled for turning blanks so far and there's still more logs to process. There's never a lack for wood around these parts of you have a big chainsaw and don't mind some hard work.
PXL_20220119_044331686.MP.jpg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I see what you mean and the need for bandsaw mill to process these properly as proposed.

I will echo what Frank stated in what the back side looks like? But, my bigger question is this- where is the rest of this log? Like the book-match halve to this 5” thick slab? That would give you a general idea of what the the grain and curl make up
looks like with the 2 halves opened up.

I would include perhaps a sequence matched headboard on the list for a king size (queen size easily) as long as you add molding trims and panel surround out of contrasting wood like cherry or walnut.

Oh and you didn’t hear this from me, but I see a decorative paddle blade that would be one piece without requiring a book-match that will show off the crotch figuring on center. I also see a “Flying V” electric guitar top from said section, but going reverse.
Lol. I was just wondering how this might look as a paddle, but my apprenticeship with the islander hasn't started yet.

The other half was very thin in the middle so I cut it into platter and pepper mill blanks.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Lol. I was just wondering how this might look as a paddle, but my apprenticeship with the islander hasn't started yet.

The other half was very thin in the middle so I cut it into platter and pepper mill blanks.
Ha, ha- I did not forget your apprenticeship with the Big Kahuna. Hey do whatever it takes to land a full pledge apprenticeship.

For your amusement, here is your photo with a really rough sketch approximation of the paddle blade (don’t have one of those fancy pens)……..

3F4948FD-25D7-479C-BEF9-5900A5FFF91B.jpeg

If I remember correctly from him that he needs a billet about 25-24” long, 6” wide and 2” thick for book-matching. So you can go that route and yield 2 that way or yield 2 as one piece. He probably has multiple templates of different styles.

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Note. The first photo above was flipped from left to right because I was trying out the photo editing software installed on my iPad right before posting.

Here is the back side. On second look there could be some flame figure in the middle, but I won't know for sure until it's cut open.
View attachment 221022
There should be a couple slices that are decent but the outer 4/4 won't have a very usable outcome. You can see the bark inclusion here. The bandsaw would be really handy to process this if you are going flatwork direction...

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Did you ever "figure" this one out?
Gun stocks are about 3 inches thick. That feather would look good and pecan would usually take quite a beating without being severely damaged...
Gave it to Mike Hill since I'm not set up to do any flat work yet. Thought it'd be better to let someone else have fun with it instead of turning it. Be cool to see this as a gunstock though.:good2: