Close, but no cigar!

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
As close as I can get without getting arrested. American Holly, hand checkered to fit the full size 1911 pistol. About as close as you can get to the look of ivory without being illegal! LOL It's often mistaken for ivory. Someone come and post my bail if I get arrested!:lol2:

Hand Checkered Holly (18 LPI).jpg

Holly-3 (left).jpg

Holly-3 (right).jpg

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
WOW! Curt - those are fabulous. Is that still by hand or with one of them new-fangled machines?

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They look great. How hard is the holly?
It's not as hard as some of the other "hard woods" but it cuts clean with no "fuzz" in the lines. Working on a set right now of royal ebony and even though it's harder than the holly, the sap wood leaves some fiberous fuzz when cut that has to be cleaned up. So, the holly is pretty nice to work with in that respect.

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
WOW! Curt - those are fabulous. Is that still by hand or with one of them new-fangled machines?
Thanks Mike. I lay out the pattern and establish the lines with the Titan power tool then go to work with the hand tools to deepen all the lines to create the diamonds. The hand tool work takes the longest and is the most tedious aspect of the whole project, and provides many opportunities to "slip" and mar a piece.

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Wow they're pretty!!!
Been wanting to get a set of hand checkering tools for years now last time I tried they were impossible to find.
Thanks Kyle. Try Gunline.com, they seem to have plenty or, if you want carbide cutters, Ullman Precision Products but, they are expensive.

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Gen. Patton look alikes. Really nice.
Thanks Doug but, Patton carried single action pistols with ivory grip panels. Not sure what caliber his were. I would assume .45 long Colt.

Last edited:

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Thanks Kyle. Try Gunline.com, they seem to have plenty or, if you want carbide cutters, Ullman Precision Products but, they are expensive.
I have the Ullmans and have been very happy with them. Time will tell if the carbides pay for themselves, but good tools for sure.

And, amazing grips - beautiful checkering job!

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I have the Ullmans and have been very happy with them. Time will tell if the carbides pay for themselves, but good tools for sure.

And, amazing grips - beautiful checkering job!
Thank you Henry.