**ENDED** What's a 80 lb cherry burl worth?

healeydays

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Folks,

I've been offered a 80 lb cherry burl that does have some checking and was cut 6 years ago. What is fair value to pay for it without cutting into it first?

cherry burl.jpg

cherry burl 2.jpg

cherry burl 3.jpg

NCWoodArt

I always get told I have nice wood.
Reaction score
First name
Bill
I would offer $40 & PAY UP TO $75 IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE.

Bill

DomInick

Reaction score
First name
Dominick
It's risky without actually cutting into it. I'd open it up first. Then you could cut it up into turning blanks. Choosing the best figure for turnings.

pinky

Reaction score
First name
John
healeydays said:
Folks,

I've been offered a 80 lb cherry burl that does have some checking and was cut 6 years ago. What is fair value to pay for it without cutting into it first?

It looks to me that you have 15 lbs of burl and 65 lbs of log section.

healeydays

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
pinky said:
healeydays said:
Folks,

That was my thinking.

Just for full disclosure. This person thinks he should get $2 a pound for this in the condition it is in but says he's take $125. I countered with $60. I'd call this probably 20 lbs of burl and rest is log. The log could be interesting in itself, but not $125 interesting.

pinky

Reaction score
First name
John
healeydays said:
pinky said:
healeydays said:
Folks,

That was my thinking.

Just for full disclosure. This person thinks he should get $2 a pound for this in the condition it is in but says he's take $125. I countered with $60. I'd call this probably 20 lbs of burl and rest is log. The log could be interesting in itself, but not $125 interesting.

Those could just be where branches were cut off years ago and healed over. Might not be interesting at all.

Final Strut

Wood Butcher Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Not much burl there in comparison to log. The way the bul is shaped and looking at the smooth texture of it I would guess there isn't going to be much for pinning or eyes in it. There should however be a ton of really funky swirly grain in it. Also looking at the shape of it and the way it appears to have "lobes" I think you may end up with more pen blanks than you can shake a stick at. I think your $60 offer is fair but I don't think I would budge beyond that. There is my 2 cents

healeydays

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's interesting. I have talked to a number of folks that have had a tree cut down and save the burl as they think they have hit the mother lode and it will pay for their Christmas. If you try to explain to them what they actually have, they come off as insulted.

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
healeydays said:
It's interesting. I have talked to a number of folks that have had a tree cut down and save the burl as they think they have hit the mother lode and it will pay for their Christmas. If you try to explain to them what they actually have, they come off as insulted.

I find this a lot when trying to buy standing Walnut timber in our area as well. So many people think its worth its weight in gold and in some very rare cases it is but with a forest full of 12" Walnut trees so many people think they are worth tons of money. It can be hard to buy standing Walnut from a land owner.

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Looks like a stump dump special to me. Offering him 40.00, the dude should be grateful. People don' realize the waste involved when a log is milled. I recently gave a guy 5.00 a bd ft for some Koa logs. He took it begrudgingly and I wish I had never bought the logs because when I opened them up, the Koa was just plain Jane. Tell the dude to take a walk, you just changed your offer to 20.00

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Where's Daren and his "very valuable walnut tree" ... that's what you need to see

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
phinds said:
Where's Daren and his "very valuable walnut tree" ... that's what you need to see

I remember that one ... it had me :rotflmao3:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Actually I did the Highly Valuable Walnut Tree first and he made a similar video a few days later. But what's a few days among friends. :sarcastic:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Here's Daren's. I think his is funnier.

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Kevin said:
Actually I did the Highly Valuable Walnut Tree first and he made a similar video a few days later. But what's a few days among friends. :sarcastic:

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
both funny -- thanks for bringing them back!

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
David those aren't my voices. It's a free site called xtranormal where you casn select the characters and voices you want, then you just type the text and the sofware coverts your text to the voices. Way cool site. Tell Suzy I'm not that clever.

:greeting:

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Kevin said:
David those aren't my voices. It's a free site called xtranormal where you casn select the characters and voices you want, then you just type the text and the sofware coverts your text to the voices. Way cool site. Tell Suzy I'm not that clever.

:greeting:
She still thinks you and Daren are very clever men. South Park, here comes your competition. Speaking of South Park, I have a friend who care takes the creator of South Park house on the Wailua River next to the Coco Palms Hotel (site of Elvis's Blue Hawaii).

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I can honestly say I've never seen a single episode of south park. I never saw a single episode of king of the hill, and I never saw a single episode of any other of those types of shows that I cannot even name. And somehow I don't feel deprived. :i_dunno:

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Kevin said:
I can honestly say I've never seen a single episode of south park. I never saw a single episode of king of the hill, and I never saw a single episode of any other of those types of shows that I cannot even name. And somehow I don't feel deprived. :i_dunno:
You are not missing much.