Hardwax Oil

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I have been researching potential finishes for a coffee table that my son & I built. Ran across a video that compared various brands of Hardwax Oil. I’ve never used such a product. Wondering what experiences you might have had, and specifically by manufacturer. The video is at the link by The Wood Whisperer. Thanks for any input you can provide. Chuck

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
My only concern with a coffee table is I'd want maximum liquid resistance and maximum abrasion resistance. I'm not sure any of those oils will provide those two characteristics.

Of course, everybody uses coffee tables differently, so you may have other finish characteristics that are important to you.

Personally, General Finishes Arm-R-Seal would be my choice.

I've not used any of those oils, so my perceptions may not be reality. I know there have been discussions on the AAW forum, but a turning is different than a coffee table. Nevertheless, might be worth your time to search over there to read some others experience.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Same thoughts as Tim. I've seen lots of people using the hardwax oils, like Rubio Monocoat, but I wonder what their durability and resistance to water or heavy use look like. Or how it stands up to the abuse of children.

My finish of choice for hard use surfaces, like table tops and desks, is the same recommendation - General Finishes Arm-R-Seal.