Powder post beetles

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I don’t recall for sure but I believe that a part of the life cycle of the beetle we had needed to live under ground for a part of its life cycle. It’s been over 30 years ago so it’s kinda foggy now to me. My take at the time was don’t store wood that you wouldn’t want infected on dirt, gravel, etc.
Yikes. They grow in dirt. I buy off of dirt. I store on pallets on dirt.. 😞

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Mike for the advice on what product to use on green wood to protect from the bugs, I’ll pick some up for sure and work the pieces they might be in. Is the borax method only feasible for wood you know has the bastards in it, or can it be applied also as a “preventative” measure against future little bastard attacks? I assume there’s products out there to protect against, but I don’t want to ruin any wood that might come into contact with food..
I was wondering if I should tell the seller so he’s aware of the bastards not to remedy the transaction. I understand the risks involved with buying green wood, but I figured he knows by now too since they had to have hatched around the same time,,I think? Those little bastards, wish I had a swift justice system in operation like Mike does.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hey guys, how long in the kiln at 130* does it take to kill the little buggers?
Depends on who you ask. But it really depends on the wood. How big, thick? Walnut seems to be toughest bug kill. Walnut also is toughest domestic to dry. It releases water in 2 " very reluctantly. I am sure tough bug kill/tough drying is tied together somehow. Just my observations though.
I mostly execute bugs in maple and box elder. You need 130-140 to be sure and this is temp in wood core. 48 hrs works on maple and elder. I just did maple,elm and elder. Just under 130 for a week. I think only 1 variety needs high temp and I have not observed them here.
Ps. My observations only. Not scientific. But single handed I have slaughtered 1000s of the little buggersl.

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
Ok, I had this discussion a few years ago. Mostly, everyone doubted me or pointed out the dangers I faced.
Here is my story: about 15 years ago I bought thousands of feet of hardwood lumber of many species, like two train cars full! I had way more than I needed, and nobody would buy it because it all had power post beetles I bought a Grizzley planer and went to work. This was all rough sawn lumber, so I had lots of work to do. I went to the local tractor supply and bought a quart of concentrated carpenter ant and termite killer, and a cheap pump up sprayer. After planing a few hundred ft, I sprayed all surfaces with the product. Dead beetles! I used this lumber to panel the walls and ceilings in three houses, the one I live in being one. I have lived here 9 years and have not seen a single beetle. I know, some would recoil at the thought of living in a house treated with the chemicals in that spray, but I don’t have a oroblem with it. The walls and ceilings in my house are riddled with bug and worm holes, and I love it. Those who come to my house always seem to like it too. A bit rustic I admit, but it fits the setting. I live in the forest, on a mountain, on the edge of a 100 ft cliff in West Virginia.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Buying and selling antiques for 45 years. Inevitably run into some that are infested. Way back when, It was suggested to use diazinon (well prior to it's residential ban) painted on with a paint brush. Only had to use it 3 times, but it seemed to work. Biggest treatment was some poplar porch floor boards and old barn siding I used to build a big playhouse for our daughter. I don't know which came first - the infected rope bed rails or the poplar.(we also used part of it to store antiques)

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
I just fried some termites. I love frying the destructive little B@stards.
If you do not want to get PPB do not buy wet wood. It is that simple. But a bin of water and 40 mule team borax. Immerse piece. You kill them and prevent them coming back. Cheap, easy and very effective. I am old enough to remember the black and white 20 mule team borax commercials on TV. They have not changed box
Hey, Borax is also great for getting rid of Fleas in house 😀

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Those things are everywhere. I regularly "bomb" my shop and inside wood storage. In my area they seem to prefer the lighter colored woods. When I do find them that piece of wood and whatever others that have evidence get burnt---I haven't made a kiln......yet.
Fortunately they don/t seem to like Mesquite much.

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
I’m in the middle of a bug killin myself. Pine borer beetles. I’m using permethrin spray and Dominion 2L drench. One dead pine tree that’ll have to come down. I don’t know whether to mill it or burn it. The drench and spray should save the other 30 or so trees. I haven’t seen any powder post evidence. My bugmobile guy looked and he didn’t see any. I’m pretty sure if he’d seen anything suspect he’d have told me since he brought it up about a year ago.

I wouldn’t have an issue with spraying anything that was not going to be used for food. I don’t have a kiln or even a kiln-like thingy… although I kinda have and idea in mind. But, I don’t think my idea would get any temps approaching 130 degrees.

I do have a burn pile though… I also air dry lumber over dirt, well, sand… I’ll have to keep a closer watch...

David, there are some kind of worm holes in nearly every piece of mesquite I have. Nearly all of it was from dead trees that had been down for years, lots of years. Some on high ground and some in the creek bottom. I’ve never found a live insect or grub in any of it. on nearly all of it the bark was gone or came off in transit before it was milled. Under wet bark, wet being moisture not green wood, I have found some of those big old grubs that make excellent catfish bait. A catfish can’t resist a grub that’s bigger than your thumb floating down into his territory!

Alan

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
I’m in the middle of a bug killin myself. Pine borer beetles. I’m using permethrin spray and Dominion 2L drench. One dead pine tree that’ll have to come down. I don’t know whether to mill it or burn it. The drench and spray should save the other 30 or so trees. I haven’t seen any powder post evidence. My bugmobile guy looked and he didn’t see any. I’m pretty sure if he’d seen anything suspect he’d have told me since he brought it up about a year ago.

I wouldn’t have an issue with spraying anything that was not going to be used for food. I don’t have a kiln or even a kiln-like thingy… although I kinda have and idea in mind. But, I don’t think my idea would get any temps approaching 130 degrees.

I do have a burn pile though… I also air dry lumber over dirt, well, sand… I’ll have to keep a closer watch...

David, there are some kind of worm holes in nearly every piece of mesquite I have. Nearly all of it was from dead trees that had been down for years, lots of years. Some on high ground and some in the creek bottom. I’ve never found a live insect or grub in any of it. on nearly all of it the bark was gone or came off in transit before it was milled. Under wet bark, wet being moisture not green wood, I have found some of those big old grubs that make excellent catfish bait. A catfish can’t resist a grub that’s bigger than your thumb floating down into his territory!

Alan
Aww man— sorry about your Pine trees. Have a couple of friends here that’ve lost theirs- heat and bugs.— may end up doing something from one of those as a remembrance….
I too have noticed small holes in Mesquite, at times, but not the about pin hole size from those powder beasties.
And the shop is out of commission for a bit— about to try spray insulation soon as temp range is “right”.