13 Questions with Don Ratcliff (Nov 2019)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions

Howdy ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the much anticipated new monthly series. I'll be interviewing members of this great forum on a monthly basis. Each person gets the opportunity to answer 13 random questions by me. Some of the questions are woodworking related, some are not, and some are certainly off the wall. Some of the questions will be the same for everyone and some will not. I have a list of around 40 questions I will pick from.
I hope you all enjoy this new series. I'd like to thank everyone that has already taken the time to reply to my private conversations about this and replied with their answers.
So let's get this shindig started!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
13 Questions with @Don Ratcliff

Where do you get inspirations for what you build?

It is always from something I see, searching the internet pics, looking at what others have made. I am skilled at making something my own but I am not creative enough to have many originals I came up with.

What have you built that you are most proud of?
Everything I build becomes my newest favorite thing. It is what keeps me going. The idea of creating something that will amaze me because I had no idea I could do it.

What frustrates you about woodworkers?
They always have better wood than I do.

You’ve most likely produced many finished pieces over the years, Are there any that stand out for you?
I made a cook pine vase with what looks like a wave around the rim.

What is your “inspiration story”? Where did your interest in woodworking all begin?
I took woodshop in high school and while I did not appreciate the skills I learned then it gave me the ability to build things. I did not do anything with wood after high school for years. When I was broke I needed a headboard so I bought a jigsaw a sheet of plywood and some 1x4’s. I cut the ply to the shape I wanted and covered it with batting and material then did the same to the 1x4’s with a contrasting color material. It was something I had created and really enjoyed it. I have never stopped building since then.

What is one thing you dislike the most about woodworking?
It is a very expensive hobby and hard to recoup the investment when selling against the crap people will buy.

If you had six months with no obligations or financial constraints, what would you make?
A mountain of wood dust.

Who is your favorite woodworker?
The late Kevin Jaynes, his passion for wood, built friendships for hundreds of people that span the globe.

What was the most stressful project you have made?
I made a live edge entry table out of pheasant wood and koa. It was all joinery and no hardware. I had never done anything like that and it sat on my bench while I worked up the courage to actually cut into it.

If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?
It would have to be Will Ferrell, he can pull off both funny and grumpy old guy at the same time.

How has your woodworking approach evolved during your lifetime?
I have learned that failure will happen and it is not the end of the project most times but an opportunity to come up with a workable solution that will give an unexpected positive result.

What inspires you to keep making things?
The excitement of holding a finished product that I have created is a great feeling. Seeing the flaws in it reminds me I can do better.

How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
It was a google search looking to find some wood that showed me WB. I do not spend much time on the site but that is a different story.
................................................................................................................................................
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What was your favorite thing you have made?

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What was your favorite thing you have made?
I have a few favorites, but the one at the moment is a snakewood pen I made.
Still no cracks in it yet!!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Thanks for making this series a reality; keep them coming!

And happy birthday Don!!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
"You’ve most likely produced many finished pieces over the years, Are there any that stand out for you?
I made a cook pine vase with what looks like a wave around the rim."

I would have thought you'd pick that paddle that you did that I am falling head over heels in love with!