ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions with @El Guapo (June 2022)

1- Where do you get your inspiration for what you build?

I get a lot of inspiration from here and from Etsy. I don’t like to duplicate someone else’s work, but it is helpful to get design ideas. I’m currently making a custom knife block for our kitchen knives and steak knives. I spent a considerable amount of time on Etsy looking at different ideas to figure out what I like and don’t like. I took the basic concept of something I saw on there and then made it my own. I should finish it next week. I also said that a few months ago.

2- What project in the near future, are you most excited about starting?
My buddy and I just started building a greenhouse at his place. There is a 12x12 concrete footing already poured and we began framing the walls last weekend. He got about 80 windows for just about free… mostly antique-ish and some modern. We are using 57 of the windows and an antique door for the construction. Thankfully, nearly all of the windows are close to 28”x28”, which makes it a lot easier than dealing with a bunch of mis-matched windows. This isn’t fine detail work, but it gets me outside and gives me an excuse to make sawdust and fellowship with a good buddy. And, of course, drink his beer for free.

3- Hamburger or Taco? and why?
Hamburger all day. I never really got the taco craze… just not my thing.

4- What’s your favorite cartoon and why?
Easy question – Ducktales. I loved that cartoon as a kid! We recently began a subscription to Disney+, which has all of the old episodes, so my daughter (4) and I have been watching them here and there. She loves it!

5- Would you rather know the history of every object you touched or be able to talk to animals?
Oh man, I would love to be able to talk to dogs (any animal, but especially dogs). There is so much goodness in a dog, and the world is a better place for having them in it.

6- What’s the most ridiculous fact you know?
I know a lot of dumb stuff. I don’t know if this counts as a fact, but I sing a song to my kids with the names of all of the countries in the world (although the song came out in a cartoon in the 90s, so some of the countries no longer exist, and some that do exist aren’t included.

7- What is the best and worst thing about woodworking?
Tough question. I think my favorite woodworking projects are projects that I either do with my buddies or my dad. I love the feeling of accomplishment and sense of pride from creating something beautiful by hand, but I think what I love most is when I get to enjoy a project with someone else. I also like being reminded by my wife every six months to finish that project I was going to knock out in no more than a weekend.

8- What snack can you just not get enough of?
I love me some popcorn! That’s a pretty common snack for my wife and me… we usually airpop and add a little bit of oil, salt, and parmesan. I will be making some in a wok here in a few minutes.

9- Who is your favorite woodworker?
There are a lot to choose from on here. I’d probably have to go with Brink. Not only is he insanely talented, but he takes the time to bring us along on so many of his builds. Also, his mastery of tools while lacking opposable thumbs is nothing short of a miracle. Honorable mention to Barry Richardson whose worst mistake is probably still better looking than anything I’ve ever turned on the lathe.

10- What are your favorite kinds of projects to do/make?
As I answered above, my favorite projects are the ones that I’m able to do with my buddies or my dad. My dad is one of my best friends and we work really well together.

11- What other hobbies besides woodworking do you have?
I get bored easily and take on way too many hobbies. I also love to play the guitar, cook, hunt, garden (I even started cultivating my own mushrooms a few years ago), forage for edibles, and play with my kids. And drinking whiskey (bourbons and ryes).

12- What Else Should I Have Asked You About?
You should have asked how/when I became so handsome!

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
I hear about Woodbarter from a guy named Jim Smith. I met him at a kitchen expo in Houston where he was selling some absolutely gorgeous salt and pepper mills. My buddy had a booth there and let me sell some of stuff in exchange for helping him sell his cutting boards.
................................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What was your first a** chewing you got from Kevin about?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What was your first a** chewing you got from Kevin about?
That's an easy one...but man it was a stinger for sure.
That would have to be the 2015 spring auction. I pulled an auction item from a member because it was a late entry. I was being a stickler, going by the rules of the auction but I should have realized the auction was to raise money for this forum and have a good time doing so. So I locked the topic and made some heavy-handed post as to why I did that. What a dumbass move on my part. Kevin was dumbfounded and above and beyond pissed I did that. We talked on the phone for a good 1/2 hour. My ear was about to cry from being chewed out by him.
I have learned from that though. I just go with the flow. This forum is here for a reason. and so am I. I'm here to help members, not hinder. I can do that to Mrs. rip.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great info Andrew! Man, we miss you here, you need to get on more often!

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Those are some awesome answers. +1 for hobbies, rye, and Barry.
It was Animaniacs that had the country song. My wife can still sing it too.
My kids already think I am nuts. Going around Disney World singing "Darkwing Duck - let's get dangerous!" didn't help my cause.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
These are so much fun to read and take in - sitting back in my underwear with a big glass of water!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are so much fun to read and take in - sitting back in my underwear with a big glass of water!
TOO MUCH INFORMATION .....
LOL

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
I enjoyed reading that. Didn't know you played guitar.
Started plying in third grade. I actually dusted off one of my favorite guitars that just doesn’t get much play the other day. It’s easy to let hobbies take a back burner when raising young ones, but always nice to find some time to one’s self.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Those are some awesome answers. +1 for hobbies, rye, and Barry.
It was Animaniacs that had the country song. My wife can still sing it too.
My kids already think I am nuts. Going around Disney World singing "Darkwing Duck - let's get dangerous!" didn't help my cause.
Give Willett rye a try if you ever get the chance… it is fantastic! And if you like bourbon, check out Still Austin. They are a small distillery out of Austin and they are putting out some amazing whiskies.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
That's an easy one...but man it was a stinger for sure.
That would have to be the 2015 spring auction. I pulled an auction item from a member because it was a late entry. I was being a stickler, going by the rules of the auction but I should have realized the auction was to raise money for this forum and have a good time doing so. So I locked the topic and made some heavy-handed post as to why I did that. What a dumbass move on my part. Kevin was dumbfounded and above and beyond pissed I did that. We talked on the phone for a good 1/2 hour. My ear was about to cry from being chewed out by him.
I have learned from that though. I just go with the flow. This forum is here for a reason. and so am I. I'm here to help members, not hinder. I can do that to Mrs. rip.
Mine was a complete misunderstanding and Kevin was actually the one at fault. I’ll tell the story later… about to turn in for the night. It was pretty funny when he realized his mistake though.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Here are a couple of pictures of the completed knife block referenced in one of my answers. It holds my steak knives and four of my kitchen knives. B4AE76BF-28D0-4361-B26A-D03B5C3001E7.jpeg A7F9FF32-D1E9-46DD-A415-EDAD994FE5E5.jpeg

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Give Willett rye a try if you ever get the chance… it is fantastic! And if you like bourbon, check out Still Austin. They are a small distillery out of Austin and they are putting out some amazing whiskies.
Yum.... Still Austin is good. I also like Nine Banded.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Another great read. I don't know how I missed this one but I'm glad I found it. Lol.