ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions

Howdy ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the much anticipated new monthly series. I'll be interviewing members of this great forum on a monthly basis. Each person gets the opportunity to answer 13 random questions by me. Some of the questions are woodworking related, some are not, and some are certainly off the wall. Some of the questions will be the same for everyone and some will not. I have a list of around 40 questions I will pick from.
I hope you all enjoy this new series. I'd like to thank everyone that has already taken the time to reply to my private conversations about this and replied with their answers.
So let's get this shindig started!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
13 Questions with @rocky1

1- You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?

Let me guess, this affliction you have with asking strange questions started at an early age. “Momma what are these funny lumps in the seat of my pants? Are they edible? They look like peanut butter, are they smooth or extra crunchy? Momma why are all these people in Wally World taking pictures of us?”
Camouflage… ‘Cause then I could be whatever color(s) I wanted to be, and no one could see me! Why else?

2- What frustrates you about woodworking?
Not finding time to do half the stuff I want to do!

3- What have you built that you are most proud of?
Log Cabin – 40 years ago… Friend of dad’s bought several old log tobacco barns, (a 24 x 30, 17 x 17, and 18 x 18), tore them down to 8’ sidewalls, had them moved to property the family owned up here in the woods, to build a hunting camp out of. He couldn’t find anyone else to undertake the project, and talked Dad into it. He, a hired hand or two, and I squared it all up, anchored it down, sawed rafters out of the poles he’d taken off the top of the buildings and set them.

Put the 24 x 30 in the center, the 2 smaller buildings were set on either side for bunk rooms. Each was set out 10’ from the main building. Cut picture windows in 3 walls on each bunk room and used the logs we cut there, and leftover logs off the tops of the buildings to fill the gaps, and framed up bathrooms on each side, with a small loft over them. Carpentered with a chainsaw and 5 lb. sledge hammers for several months, driving 100 penny nails all day into really dry logs.

Antique plumbing fixtures were installed in both bathrooms (claw foot tubs, tank mounted higher than your head toilets, pedestal sinks) and an antique porcelain sink in the kitchen. Shallow well w/pitcher pump was installed in each, so you had water regardless of whether you had power.

Vaulted ceilings throughout, had all the lumber for the roof (1x6 tongue and groove pine), finished top side, left the bottom rough sawn. All door frames, doors, window frames, bunk bed frames, night stands were made from rough sawn 2 x 6 lumber. Fireplace was finished in sandstone found on the property, mantle was set on railroad iron found on an old logging tram road that passed the camp, mantle was built out of old heart oak ties found on the tram road as well. While he did install an electric stove, staying with the loss of power thing, he also installed an antique porcelain wood cook stove. Was over a hundred years old at the time, and had one chip in the porcelain on a bottom corner, about the size of a dime, other was in showroom condition.

We managed to get it dried in, and needed to get back to digging in bees, had a neighbor that was a carpenter that Dad got interested in the project, and he agreed to finish it up. Owner was going to use prefinished cabinets, and the carpenter told him no way would he do it with that, that he wanted the lumber off the gable ends of the building, and he used that old antique lumber to build all of the cabinet work.

Was really a nice camp when finished; beautiful building in all respects. Had a lot of antiques on display, the usual hides and heads hung on every wall, turkey or two roosting in the rafters. Critters hanging out in the corners.

Every time we went up to work on it, it seemed like the weather turned nasty, and we earned a reputation for it. Owner had a brass plaque engraved and put on the front door…

Built by the Bad-Weather Construction Company -- Mike Thomas, President

4- If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?
Rocky…
Bullwinkle is entirely too Horny! Maybe Wimpy…
We both have a cheeseburger affliction.

5- What are your favorite kinds of projects to do/make?
Currently… Bowls. Simple, easy, no precise dimensions to meet, nothing to fit precisely, make it round, or whatever, and finish it. Enjoying applying less stressful finishes. Gotta get back to making a few miniature birdhouses, and miniature bowls and such. Less material to buy, more profit to be made. One of these days I’m actually going to sell something that makes me a dollar or two.

6- What is one of your favorite places to get wood and why?
From Trees… Because it’s difficult to get from cows!

7- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?
A damn big one! ‘Cause any tree as old as I am is fat and tall!!

8- If you had six months with no obligations or financial constraints, what would you make?
A pot of coffee and a pan of brownies! You forgot to ask Why?... Why not?!
Who said you had to work the whole six months, pot of coffee and some brownies would be good while thinking about all the things I needed to build in 6 months, that would likely take much longer than that, causing me to have to sort things out and assess priorities, and make my vacation stressful and all, and I’d need to calm my nerves, but at the same time, I’d need the sugar in the brownies to help me get out the gate on all those projects.

9- Who is your favorite woodworker?
Me! Obviously!! You seen me sending tens of thousands of dollars worth of toys and wood to anyone else around here? There you go! I am obviously my favorite wood worker!

10- What was the biggest woodworking related event that happened that changed your life?
The invention of the toothpick. Drives me crazy when I got things stuck in my teeth, gotta have my toothpicks. Even got a little Tupperware toothpick thingy I carry in my car and in the truck when I’m on the road. Went in the lunchbox daily back when I was working construction.

11- If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?
Someone skinny, with dark hair, and a beard.
Cause I ain’t always been fat and gray haired; that’s an old age thing. But, with exception of 3 years 2 months and 9 days I spent in Uncle Sam’s Air Force, I’ve had a beard for as long as I been able to grow whiskers.

12- What inspires you to keep making things?
Typically boredom!

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
Well, when I began my quest to buy a lathe, and learn how to turn coyote calls, I asked a bunch of the call makers on the Predator Hunting Forum that I was hanging out on where they found all of their exquisite woods, and one of them pointed me to Wood Barter.
As for what keeps me coming back, I enjoy the company. Lot of like minded, helpful folks. Good bunch of people here, lot of caring souls with similar interests.

................................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

So which was it creamy or chunky? Why was the folks in Wally World taking pictures of you? Did you really make the people of Wally World website? When you gonna do the T-Rex Sequel?

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

So which was it creamy or chunky? Why was the folks in Wally World taking pictures of you? Did you really make the people of Wally World website? When you gonna do the T-Rex Sequel?

Chunky.
Because they never saw something so good looking covered in peanut butter before.
I may have.
Hopefully next spring.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Glad I had a cup off coffee before reading this one, lol.:sofa:
Great answers rock.:cool:

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
How's your Dad Rock?

Doing good! Took him out of the cardiologist's care, had him moved to a private room Friday night, and quit treating him for a heart attack he didn't have. Brought him home yesterday morning. He was back almost to normal last night, still worn out from the whole experience. Never did determine what was wrong with him, but we have appointments with his regular doctors Tuesday and Wednesday.