• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

13 Questions with SENC (September 2022)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions with @SENC (September 2022)

Where do you get your inspiration for what you build?

Duck hunting was a real passion for me, and when we moved to Mississippi 20+ years ago I was in heaven. I had a church friend who made calls for himself and friends, and was inspired and wanted to learn myself. I ultimately became interested in the history of calls and the old metal reed style calls, and taught myself (with email and online help from some old masters) to make them. I became enthralled with wood itself, the various species and grain patterns, and that spread my interests a bit.

2- What are your favorite kinds of projects to do/make?

As you know, I’m just getting a shop set back up after 6+ years without, so not much, yet, but in addition to calls aspire to bowls, hollow forms, and boxes (turned and, hopefully, flatwork).

3- What is the silliest goal you have?
To live as long as Mike. JK. Seriously, though, I don’t know that I have any really silly goals. A downside of a career I loved was that it consumed me and I lost a lot of silliness – so frankly one of my goals in retirement is to relax and get back to setting (and achieving) some less serious goals in life.

4- What’s an area of your woodworking you want to improve?
Flatwork for sure, and also getting more skilled in turning – learning proper techniques and not just what I learned by doing. I also want to expand my knowledge so I can help teach kids.

5-What is the biggest challenge you faced being a Call maker?
Learning and figuring things out on my own without a real mentor. Thankfully the internet and forums like this have introduced me to very knowledgeable and helpful people.

6- What is your favorite drink?
I love good single malt scotches, particularly the peaty ones. I’m also a fan of a really good gin and tonic during the summer. I experimented with making my own tonic syrup a few years ago, but there are so many good ones on the market now I haven’t done that in a while.

7- What is the best and worst thing about woodworking?
Best – seeing a piece of wood reveal itself and its beauty. Worst – having a project explode after hours of work.

8- Who is the most interesting person you’ve met and talked with?
Lots of interesting people with fascinating stories, but not sure any of them are well-known. If I could go back in time and meet/talk with anyone, though, tops among them would be Robert E Lee. I’ve always admired him despite his flaws – and would love to know if the real person is the one I think I know or if he is the evil version as some have come to believe. I fully suspect, like most of us, he has bits of both and think he would be complex and fascinating to know.

9- Who is your favorite woodworker?
Not sure I have a favorite.

10- What was the most stressful project you have made?
Woodworking is stress-relief and I don’t do anything on commission, so I don’t think a project itself has been stressful. I’ve done a few trades with callmakers I consider to be real artisans and experts, though, and always a little stressed whether they got a fair trade!

11- What is your favorite movie of all time and why?
O Brother Where Art Thou – funniest, most clever movie I’ve ever seen. I can watch it over and over and have the same feeling of joy, and always see something new.

12- What Else Should I Have Asked You About?
I don’t know the question, but Kevin once shared with me that there had been a discussion amongst moderators early on whether I should be banned. Apparently my tendency to be a smart-ass had been perceived seriously and rubbed a few people wrong. I grew up in a big family so giving (and getting) a ribbing constantly was second nature to me – and thinking on my answer to #3 above I suspect an outlet for otherwise suppressed silliness. I was glad Kevin, and others, saw it for what it was and didn’t give me the boot. But if you think I’m being overly critical or harsh, drop me a note and tell me so – I’m not always aware of how something comes across.

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
I don’t remember how – was probably on a search for some obscure wood. I came back because of the members who share wood, expertise and guidance, and humor. I find it to be a group that generally take their passion seriously but not themselves – which describes the way I think.

................................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

Why ripjack?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

Why ripjack?
Years ago when I first started Playstation 1 video games (way back in 1998 :sarcastic: ) , I needed a name that I thought would be cool. So I started thinking of names similar to Jack the Ripper, and the movie "Freejack" (with Mick " I'm so old I should be a mummy" Jagger.)
Also, I loved the movie " Tank Girl" (I like cheesy movies) and the characters in the movie that everyone were so afraid of were called "Rippers".... so I put all of them together and I came up with the name "ripjack", so I entered it.. ..and low and behold someone thought of it before me! wth!?? :scare3: ( The Ripjack Inn is also an Inn in Costa Rica )

So... I wanted to keep it and so I decided to add the number 13 to it, because my name is Marc, and the letter M is the 13th letter in the alphabet.

So there you have it.....
:drinks:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great read Henry! It's good to have you back on here and interacting again! I agree with you on R.E.Lee, I think he would be fascinating to talk to.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
3- What is the silliest goal you have?
To live as long as Mike. JK. Seriously, though, I don’t know that I have any really silly goals. A downside of a career I loved was that it consumed me and I lost a lot of silliness – so frankly one of my goals in retirement is to relax and get back to setting (and achieving) some less serious goals in life.

Why did I know That I had to be bashed somewhere in this ..... GRRRRR
I Understand losing the silliness. Employees did that. But you can get it back, But i will never get rid of the serious goals....
Good read my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
O Brother Where Art Thou - Agree

Single malt scotches, particularly the peaty ones - Also agree!

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Why did I know That I had to be bashed somewhere in this ..... GRRRRR
There was no chance I was passing up this opportunity! :cool: That's what us curmudgeonly old men are supposed to do to each other, right?

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
O Brother Where Art Thou - one of the best movies of all time.

Robert E. Lee would be a great person of interest to have a discussion with. Surely he was conflicted internally, yet he went with down the path that he felt best represented his loyalties and performed his duties to the best of his abilities. Well respected by friend & foe. It would be great to learn his true thoughts on the subject. Without doubt he, nor many others, were the villains that some today are making them out to be. They were a product of the time period. People today are judging historical people by today's extremist ideals which makes no sense at all. We can't change history, so it should neither be erased, nor re-written. We can only understand and hope not to repeat the mistakes of our predecessors.