ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions

Howdy ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the much anticipated new monthly series. I'll be interviewing members of this great forum on a monthly basis. Each person gets the opportunity to answer 13 random questions by me. Some of the questions are woodworking related, some are not, and some are certainly off the wall. Some of the questions will be the same for everyone and some will not, I have an ever-growing list of questions I will pick from.
I hope you all enjoy this new series.
I'd like to thank everyone that has already taken the time to reply to my private conversations about this and replied with their answers.
So let's get this shindig started!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
13 Questions with @Sprung (June 2021)

1- Where do you get your inspirations for what you build?

If I see something I like that someone else has built, I will often save pictures for inspiration. I'll combine ideas into something I like. I design on my own pretty much all of what I build, and a lot of the time that design work happens on the fly. For example, my workbench project - all I started with was approximately how big the top could be to fit in the space I had for it. Then I started building and drew no pictures or plans up. Some other pieces I'll draw something up, but changes will often then happen along the way, or my drawing required some figuring things out as I go.

2- What sort of influence do you think your projects have had on people?
A lot of people have enjoyed the small turned items I've made for them - whether it was something they bought from me, either for themselves or to give as a gift, or something I or my wife gave as a gift. There's been a lot of "You made this?!?" responses.
Larger projects I've built have been for my wife, my boys, myself, or our home. My wife loves what I make for her or our home and our design tastes are very similar, so it's easy to design a piece that will make her happy. The kitchen hutch I built for her is still her favorite piece ever - she is so happy with it and loves showing it off.

3- Sweet & sour or hot & spicy?
Yes.

4- What frustrates you about woodworking?
Sanding. It's the one portion of woodworking that, if I could pay someone to do it for me, I would. I hate sanding - I find it very boring and tedious, which does not go well with my nature. I find repetitive and/or boring tasks very challenging for me to get motivated to do.
Also, the last 5 to 10% of a project. Those final little tedious details is usually where I get hung up. For example, the kitchen hutch I built? I went from rough lumber to 95% completed in a short amount of time. It sat for a number of months before I got back around to finishing it, and the fact that we were possibly moving and would have to move the piece was ultimately what pushed me to get it done.

5- Would you rather be able to control fire or water?
Fire. Fire is always fun to play with.

6- If I came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare?
Probably grill some meat - steak or chicken thighs or burgers or sausage from a local butcher. And have my wife make both her skillet green beans and cucumber salad.

7- What does wood have to do with the meaning of life?
Building with wood is an opportunity to make use of the gifts and abilities given to build, create, etc.

8- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?
Apple. Everyone loves an apple tree. But the wood can be ornery to work with (or at least to dry) and I typically prefer to work on my own on most things (aka, can sometimes be ornery to work with).

9- Who is your favorite woodworker?
Honestly, I have never really thought of a favorite woodworker. I'm more into admiring styles of woodworking than specific woodworkers and really like Arts & Crafts, Craftsman, and Shaker styles of furniture. Though Mid-Century Modern is starting to grown on me in some ways.

10-If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?
My wife and I introduced our boys not long ago to one of the classics of our childhood - Duck Tales. Some days I feel a lot like Launchpad McQuack - he's a good guy, always well intentioned, always trying his best, even if it doesn't always work out how it's supposed to go.

11-What is one of your favorite places to get wood and why?
Someplace I can see what I'm getting. I don't like buying wood sight unseen - that's usually when I end up with something that is junk or not worth the money I paid for it. Whether it's buying something here and seeing pictures or going into a lumber yard, I like being able to see it first. Being able to hold it in my hands first is even better.

12- What Else Should I Have Asked You About?
Old iron - my affinity for older, American made machines and restoring them. I enjoy restoring machines about as much as I enjoy woodworking. And these older machines are quite robust and I usually have an easier time finding parts for them than for newer machines! I don't know that my shop will ever be 100% older, American made machines, but I'm definitely heading in that direction. I have a special affinity for machines made by Sprunger Brothers, which operated in Indiana from right after WWII through the early 80's.

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
Through another forum.
Short jokes about @Tony keep me coming back. (Just kidding, Tony!)
The good people and friendly atmosphere keep me coming back.

............................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What is your favorite wood and why?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What is your favorite wood and why?

:ponder:

Well, it's a toss-up between a few of em.
I grew up loving the look of curly spalted maple and just the smell of maple.
Then when I was living in California, I found Ebony and it became my new favorite, it worked so nice and smooth, and then Manzanita burl, and that became my new favorite. :treehugger:

Then just a few years ago I found snakewood....:wonky: and it's been a :dance2::praise::praising::good2::redcard::pieface::shok::mad::greeting::punish::wall3::heart::nutkick: relationship with it.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Great read Matt! We have a lot in common, I to like arts and crafts and shaker. And I love old American iron as well. My shop is a mix of old and new. I dont think you can really get new American iron.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Then just a few years ago I found snakewood....:wonky: and it's been a :dance2::praise::praising::good2::redcard::pieface::shok::mad::greeting::punish::wall3::heart::nutkick: relationship with it.

I had one pen out of Snakewood that I thought was going to last. After a few years it hadn't cracked! Then a couple years ago I pulled it out to swap it into my rotation use. And it had cracked, in more than one place... Well, it was a nice few years of using it before it cracked!