13 Questions with Steve in VA (September 2023)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions with @Steve in VA

Q-1- What’s one thing people don’t know about you?

A- There's a lot people don't know and I'd like to keep it that way :lol2:
In all seriousness, I'm a pretty open book but the one thing that surprises most people about me when they find out is that I turn pieces on a lathe and do other woodworking projects. I'm not sure why, but when people who don't really know me find out and see my IG account they seem to be shocked. I'm curious if anyone else also finds that to be true?

Since all of you already know that though, the fun fact for you is that I kayaked the entire length of the Chesapeake Bay with two friends in two sea kayaks (one 21' double and one 18' single) that I built out of okume marine grade plywood back in the early 90's. 30 years later I still have them and we use them quite frequently throughout the year.

Q-2- What project in the near future, are you most excited about starting?
A- Whatever comes from the next log! I do have a few basket illusion pieces I'm planning to make from some large pieces of cherry, but those are still in the design phase so it may be awhile. I typically have so many projects going at once that it's hard to get too excited about any one piece. And I need to get better at finishing up a few before moving on to the next one.

Q-3- What game do you dominate when you play it?
A- I wouldn't say I dominate in any game, but I'm definitely a completive person so you're going to get my best no matter what it is.

Q-4- What frustrates you about woodworking?
A- Sanding. Checking in green wood. And the dust and mess that's created, especially when turning. It's all part of the package though, so I deal with it. I turn in the third bay of our garage, so I have to be fairly diligent about cleaning up because if too many shavings make their way into the house I may lose my privileges.

Q-5- You’ve most likely produced many finished pieces over the years, Are there any that stand out for you?
A- In high school I made two pieces that stand out. One is a mantle clock and the other is a large china cabinet. Both are still in my parents home and they stand out to me because of the scale of the projects for a kid in high school. I'll get my parents to take a photo and post them.

Q-6- If you could swap lives with someone for a day, who would it be and what would you do?
A- Jeff Bezos and I'd spend the morning at Woodcraft and the afternoon at Rockler :lol2:

All kidding aside, there are so many experiences I'd love to have but if I could go back in the past I'd probably choose Neil Armstrong and experience space flight and walking on the moon.

Q-7- What is the best and worst thing about woodworking?
A- For me the best thing is the time away from everything else, especially work, and the beauty mother nature can hide inside a log. The worst is probably the dust, mess, and time it takes to clean up after every session.

Q-8- You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?
A- That's a tricky one as most boxes I've seen seem to be full of colors, so I can't think of one to add. That said, no matter the color I'd want to be razor sharp just as I like my tools!

Q-9- Who is your favorite woodworker?
A- There isn't anyone that I'd say is my favorite, but certainly many that have inspired me and keep me motivated to try new things, including many of you. Instagram is also a wonderful source of inspiration and there are many I follow and communicate with on a regular basis.

I do have to give my Grandfather and Dad a shout out as they are probably the two that got me interested in woodworking. My Grandfather opened an unfinished furniture store here close to 75 years ago, and then my Dad and Uncle took it over. So in many ways you could say woodworking was in my blood from the day I was born.

Q-10- What was the most stressful project you have made?
A- I don't think I've ever been stressed by a project on the whole. In fact, woodworking is just the opposite for me. That said, laying the fiberglass tape on the kayaks I previously mentioned was a bit nerve racking as I recall as I had never done anything like it and I knew I had a short time frame in which to get it done due to the epoxy setting. The other one that comes to mind was turing a cowboy hat super thin by using light. Again, having never done it added to the pressure. But it's all part of the process that I relish so I don't consider it to be stressful.

Q-11- What differentiates you from our other members?
A- It's hard to say as I realize I don't know too many of you that well on a personal level. What I do know is somehow, despite all of our differences, we're all tied together through the love of woodworking and that's what matters to me.

Q-12- What is one question you would like to ask me?
A- I actually have two if you don't mind? Why ripjack13? And why is the "Woodbarter" name in your profile upside down?

Q-13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
A -
I don't recall, but I assume an internet search as I joined about the same time I really got into turning. There's no question though that it's the people here that keep me coming back. I know this is cliche, but it's such a tight, friendly group that is always willing to go above and beyond for everyone. I've only met a few members in person, but so many of you feel like very close friends!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Q-12- What is one question you would like to ask me?
A- I actually have two if you don't mind? Why ripjack13? And why is the "Woodbarter" name in your profile upside down?
Years ago when I first started Playstation 1 video games (way back in 1998 :sarcastic: ) , I needed a name that I thought would be cool. So I started thinking of names similar to Jack the Ripper, and the movie "Freejack" (with Mick " I'm so old I should be a mummy" Jagger.)
Also, I loved the movie " Tank Girl" (I like cheesy movies) and the characters in the movie that everyone were so afraid of were called "Rippers".... so I put all of them together and I came up with the name "ripjack", so I entered it.. ..and low and behold someone thought of it before me! wth!?? :scare3:

So... I wanted to keep it and so I decided to add the number 13 to it, because my name is Marc, and the letter M is the 13th letter in the alphabet.

So there you have it.....
:drinks:

And the woodbarter name is upside down just to be different....no real reason.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great stuff Steve, the kayak trip sounds awesome!!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
What a great read. A boat build is on my bucket list, don't know if I'll ever get to do it though.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
A 21ft plywood kayak with a fiberglass skin would be very cool - and very heavy. Fun read though, thanks for sharing.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Love it, great edition! And very impressed with the kayaks and journey!

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Nice job Steve - Iliked your #6 especially. Not the Jeff Bezos part (although would be fun and interesting), but I really liked the Neil Armstrong answer!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Great stuff, Steve. By the way, I still have several bowls in the basement that require attention.