Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

13 Questions with Tony (Jan 2020)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Jan 5, 2020.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    13 Questions

Howdy ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the much anticipated new monthly series. I'll be interviewing members of this great forum on a monthly basis. Each person gets the opportunity to answer 13 random questions by me. Some of the questions are woodworking related, some are not, and some are certainly off the wall. Some of the questions will be the same for everyone and some will not. I have a list of around 40 questions I will pick from.
    I hope you all enjoy this new series. I'd like to thank everyone that has already taken the time to reply to my private conversations about this and replied with their answers.
    So let's get this shindig started!!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  2. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    13 Questions with Tony (Jan 2020)

1- Where do you get your inspirations for what you build?
    Most of the time it comes from something similar I have seen. I build what I like, things that are pleasing to my eye and that I think would be useful. My work is nowhere near good enough to be just art, it has to have a purpose.

2- If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?
    Probably I would be a Pac Man ghost: short, round and wondering aimlessly!

3- What have you built that you are most proud of?

Probably an urn for my best friend's Dad. I built it out of a Mesquite tree that was in his front yard, it was his favorite tree. His widow called me crying when my buddy gave it to her, was very special for me.

4- What frustrates you about woodworkers?

By and large, I think woodworkers are the salt of the earth, great people. 99.9% of them are wonderful, helpful people. The very few I've met I don't like are the exceptions. The annoying thing about them mostly are the blowhards that think they know better than everyone else and their way is the best.

5- What is one of your favorite places to get wood and why?

I don't know that I can pick a favorite place. I get it from all sorts of places. I've pulled walnut boards out of a construction dumpster, picked up a huge Mesquite stump from behind a hospital, brought home a pickup load of Jatoba flooring from @woodman6415 . If I had to choose, I'd say Craigslist. Gotten some really great deals there!

6- How would your best friend describe you?

Probably would say that I'm fiercely loyal but a lot to deal with. I can be an obnoxious hothead who is very opinionated and not politically correct at all.

7- What is the best and worst thing about woodworking?

The best thing is I get to create things that bring joy and happiness to people and keep myself sane. I also get to hang out with great people, I've met some of my best friends because of woodworking. The worst thing is that it is an obsessive thing for me, my addiction to buying tools and wood should be evident to everyone here.

8- You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?

I would be Grecian Blue, pretty to look at and cool as ice! :sarcastic:

9- Who is your favorite woodworker?

I gotta go with Sam Maloof. His work is amazing of course, but what I like the most about him is it was so different from what anybody had ever seen at the time. How he used a bandsaw is incredible. He lived his whole life on his terms and was incredibly happy with it. Towards the end, he couldn't see, but someone would take him to the bandsaw and get him set up, then he would go to work. The man was extraordinary!

10- What was the most stressful project you have made?

I built four wagon wheels for a woman my wife works with a few years ago. It involved a lot of techniques I'd never done before and gave me fits but I got them done and she was happy.

11- Hamburger or Taco?

Taco in the morning, cheeseburger in the afternoon or night.

12- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?

I would be a Mesquite. They don't grow straight so they are not attractive trees but are incredibly versatile trees. The wood is gorgeous and great to work with, great wood to bbq with. The beans are tasty and make good jams, jellies, etc. Plus, most of them start growing out of a cow patty, so that's cool!

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
    I was looking for some type of wood, don't even remember what it was. Back then, I knew very little about different woods, worked with red oak, white oak, pine and Mesquite. I spent a couple days reading through threads and was amazed by the vast sharing of knowledge and camaraderie on here. I joined up and jumped right in, lime a kid in a candy store. Kevin called me after I had been on about a week and we talked for an hour. I felt like I had come home to a family I didn't know I had. I still feel that way, that's what keeps me coming back.

................................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What do you see Woodbarter's future being like?

• Great Post Great Post x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    I see a prosperous future for WB. I have ideas for some future WB projects.

• Like Like x 5
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  4. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    4- What frustrates you about woodworkers?
    By and large, I think woodworkers are the salt of the earth, great people. 99.9% of them are wonderful, helpful people. The very few I've met I don't like are the exceptions. The annoying thing about them mostly are the blowhards that think they know better than everyone else and their way is the best. And all of them are taller than I am.... :lol2::sofa:

• Funny Funny x 9
  5. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    :lol2: You're funny :old:!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 8:35 AM