13 Questions with woodtickgreg (July 2020)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions

Howdy ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the much anticipated new monthly series. I'll be interviewing members of this great forum on a monthly basis. Each person gets the opportunity to answer 13 random questions by me. Some of the questions are woodworking related, some are not, and some are certainly off the wall. Some of the questions will be the same for everyone and some will not, I have an ever-growing list of questions I will pick from.
I hope you all enjoy this new series.
I'd like to thank everyone that has already taken the time to reply to my private conversations about this and replied with their answers.
So let's get this shindig started!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
13 Questions with @woodtickgreg

1- What’s your favorite cartoon and why?

Foghorn leghorn! Love the way he messed with the dog, lol. And the way he got bested by the nerd kid.
Also because I'm a chicken hawk and your a chicken!

2- What project in the near future, are you most excited about starting?
A new workbench! I have a chest high stack of ash logs milled to 10/4 that have been drying for years. Some are 9' long. A real wood workers bench has been on my wish list for a very long time.

3- What have you built that you are most proud of?
I think the walnut kitchen table that I gave up in the divorce. It was way to big for my house so I let her keep it, but I did love that table. I have 2 end tables in my living room that are a close second. I did a lot of scrollsaw fret work that I was proud of, most of that got destroyed in her fits of rage. I'll start new ones someday.

4- What frustrates you about woodworking?
Nothing really, other than the lack of time to work in the shop at the moment. Wood working for me is very relaxing and brings me great joy, it satisfies a need that I have to do things with my hands and be creative. It's not frustrating at all.

5- What was the biggest woodworking related event that happened that changed your life?
It was 2 things actually, first one was purchasing a table saw from Sears when I was fresh out of high school. That opened up the ability for me to do wood working at home whenever I wanted to. Second was purchasing a lathe, we all know about that rabbit hole, lol.

6- What are your favorite kinds of projects to do/make?
I would have to say scrollsaw projects because it is so relaxing and because I can walk away from the project and then come back whenever and continue working on it. I also enjoy turnings on the lathe because it is so creative and you can complete a project relatively quickly. Also turning stock is super easy to find for free!

7- What is the best and worst thing about woodworking?
Best thing about woodworking for me is giving things I've made to people. Or when they have to touch something that I have made, if I make something that people have to run their hands over it's like mission accomplished for me.

8- Hamburger or Taco?
Burger, no bun. I used to love tacos though, especially with corn tortillas. But I dont eat carbs anymore, haven't for years.

9- Who is your favorite woodworker?
Sam Maloof, I so admired the man. I was very saddened the day I heard he passed, and also the realization that I would never get to meet him in person. He was such a kind and gentle soul. The things he could do with a bandsaw! His home was amazing! I have watched every video I can find with him many times and I still watch them.

10- What are some of your woodworking pet peeves?
Only thing I can really come up with for that one is not enough shop time. I dont think I really have any pet peeves about woodworking.

11- What does wood have to do with the meaning of life?
For me it provides the outlet that I need to work with my hands and create. It's a huge part of my life and who I am. It's also organic and for me it has a soul. Wood keeps on living even after it dies. Wood can tell a story.

12- What Else Should I Have Asked You About?
Why have I not settled on one particular venue or form of the craft?
The answer is because I cant, I get bored very easily and I need variety to keep my mind stimulated. It's part of the A.D.D. experience. That's why I turn a bit, then scroll, then do something flat work related. It's also how I became a jack of all trades, even growing up without a father in my life. I'm self taught because of my own boredom and curiosity. It all started with bicycles as a kid and blossomed into everything else. It's why I do so many things, mechanics, wood, metal work, etc.

13- How did you hear about Woodbarter, and What keeps you coming back?
I heard about woodbarter from Kevin on wood working talk, he was known as Texas Timbers there. I followed him here with many of the other founding members. I watched the site grow into something bigger than Kevin ever imagined it would become. The members made this place special. I love the way we dont judge people for not knowing things and flame them for asking questions. I love the camaraderie and the family atmosphere of the community here. I like how we all look out for each other. I like that it still has not become commercialized and full of advertisements like all the other sites. And for many of us it's about keeping Kevin's vision as he saw it and let it become because it works and makes us a very special place to be indeed. I'm proud to be a part of that.

................................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What are some of your other hobbies and interest?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
13 Questions with @woodtickgreg
...........................................................................................................................................

Bonus question......

What is one question you want to ask me?

What are some of your other hobbies and interest?

I like fishing. My grandson finally got the bug this year and loves to go now too. We have a secret spot down the street from us that he started off in. He throws his line in, counts to 3 and BAM, he has a hit. It's the hot spot that happens because it's filled with bluegill and minnow and catfish. It's a farmland runoff basin, so we just catch and release. We have a couple of the bluegills in my 40 gal tank to watch them grow. It's great.

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Another great Q&A. Thanks for sharing and I especially want to give a great big "ditto" to your answer to question 13. Although I am a relative newbie on the forum, your nailed the atmosphere of this place.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
This was a great idea,this forum in general has a great feel to it,but this series just makes it even better. Thanks to everyone who has participated it’s nice to get to know forum friends.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
This was a great idea,this forum in general has a great feel to it,but this series just makes it even better. Thanks to everyone who has participated it’s nice to get to know forum friends.

Thanks Troy!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
'tick - thoroughly enjoyed learning more about you! Thank you!

"Stop, I say stop it boy, you’re doin’ alot of choppin’ but no chips are flyin’ "

“As senior rooster ’round here, it’s my duty, and my pleasure, to instruct junior roosters in the ancient art of roostery”

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
'tick - thoroughly enjoyed learning more about you! Thank you!

"Stop, I say stop it boy, you’re doin’ alot of choppin’ but no chips are flyin’ "

“As senior rooster ’round here, it’s my duty, and my pleasure, to instruct junior roosters in the ancient art of roostery”
I say pay attention when I'm talkin to ya son