Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

1st Game Call - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Turning Critique Forum' started by Steve in VA, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Steve in VA

Steve in VA Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Steve
    Hey guys,

This is my second turning, with the first being a pen from a blank that Eric sent me....thanks again Eric!

I'm at a point where frankly I'm not sure what to do next, and not quite sure how to go about it. I turned the first piece separately, and then made the mistake (I assume) of taking it off the mandrel to start the second. Once I had then tenon cut, I mated the two together and realized my hole and the tenon didn't line up as nicely as they should. I drilled the two blocks separately to begin with.

What I did, right or wrong, was to figure out how to mount them both on the mandrel together so I could true them up a bit.

Now that I've got that accomplished, I need to figure out how to square the tenon and barrel so that when I mate them together the gap all but disappears. You can see the gap in the first picture; it's the first line from the left that is not burned in. I'm nervous about taking the two off prematurely and then doing something that I'll regret.

What advice and guidance do you all have for a rookie?

Also, I'd love any feedback on the overall design. This is the first one I've ever done and just free-handed it as I went along trying different techniques. Let me have it as I have think skin and love learning!

Thanks in advance!!

20180809_202031.jpg

20180809_202013.jpg

20180809_202121.jpg

20180809_202106.jpg

20180809_125157.jpg

20180809_202013.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Congrats! Really hard to believe this is your first effort! Haven't turned a call, so can't give you any advice. Chuck

3. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    An expanding mandrel will help a lot for being able to flip them around and take off the lathe without worrying about recentering it exact. Enco makes some cheap ones and I personally use em.

Also looks like ya could do some more sanding.

Other than that looks great for just starting out! Best advise is just keep going!

4. Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1 Member Full Member

First name:
    Rodney
    I like to drill the whole blank and turn as one piece. Making the final cut once I am happy with shape. Do most sanding before cutting. Use my inserts or turn a piece of Delrin for ten on. I put bands on most of my 2 piece calls.

5. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Nice selection of expanding mandrels at -www.webfootcustomcalls.con -
    also. Assorted other supplies for call building. Otherwise buy most of my call supplies at THO Game Calls. Pretty much everything there comes with a decent set of instructions for boring the call body.

Looks good for first call! Now to master the CA finish!:wink:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
Current Time: 12:50 PM