• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

1st load out of the kiln…well half of it🙄

tstan7022

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Can’t be more excited. Really happy with my first(partial load) of walnut down to 6-8% from my new solar kiln. Had to tweak the baffle a little and increase flow to one end as about half the load was a few points high and has to go back in for a week or so.

54EC51A3-1D2C-4184-8389-E68DC6AF528E.jpeg

9422DD1F-83E8-497C-A23A-A5A242E511B9.jpeg

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Looks good Troy! Are the crayon grade marks from you or the mill it was cut at? Nice figure in that Walnut:drool:I have wanted a kiln for a long time but really don't need it now. (At least I think I don't. Who knows??)

tstan7022

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Looks good Troy! Are the crayon grade marks from you or the mill it was cut at? Nice figure in that Walnut:drool:I have wanted a kiln for a long time but really don't need it now. (At least I think I don't. Who knows??)

tstan7022

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Rob those are from the mill I actually bought this at a local mill as ungraded shorts wet.

you do still need a kiln! I dove in dumpsters in my subdivision at all the new houses going in and built mine for about 25 bucks

3E07ECA2-D520-464F-8666-50ACD8E6F80D.jpeg

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Wow! That’s a nice solar kiln! Thanks!

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Looks like it will make some nice lumber, not much cupping. From the looks of the saw marks they must have had a few missing teeth on the saw but I'm sure it will plane out.

tstan7022

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Looks like it will make some nice lumber, not much cupping. From the looks of the saw marks they must have had a few missing teeth on the saw but I'm sure it will plane out.
Thanks! Came from a high volume commercial mill near me, I don't think they put much weight on a clean finish. I buy their wet shorts and ungraded stuff, I like the character it gives....and it's not terribly expensive.