Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Kerry in Texas traded me some box elder for this chunk of Mesquite when I visited the boys in texas. I had to put it in my oven on the lowest setting for a few hours to kill the wood munchers that where busy inside of it. :sarcastic: This was my first time turning Mesquite and I really liked it. This piece was quite dry and it still turned beautifully, small chips where flying! It sanded beautifully and quickly as well, has a nice smell to it too. And the wood itself is just beautiful, lovely grain. So as is usually the case with Mesquite it had some large grub holes and tunnels in it thad needed to be filled. I used this opportunity to experiment with tinted epoxy, never did any of this before.
I think the feature ring of epoxy around the rim came out nice.
20201101_151730.jpg
Sanded from 150 through the grits to 400 and the finish is varnish and wax.
20201101_151755.jpg 20201101_151816.jpg 20201101_151834.jpg 20201101_151900.jpg
Its 10" across and 2" tall.
20201101_151927.jpg
Looks kinda nice on the singer table.
20201101_152330.jpg
The guys gave me some Mesquite logs, can't wait to turn more of this stuff, it was very enjoyable. So what say you Texans? Did I do it justice?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Ah, there's the money shot! Fantastic work! Great looking bowl, the fills (especially the rim), the shape, and finish are all spot on.

I'm definitely going to have to pick up some of that tint.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
That's gorgeous! I love the the fill, the rim, the bottom, all of it!

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Wow! That is nice. Good job on the bowl.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Beautiful work!! I love mesquite, such a pleasure to turn and I agree, it smells nice when you do turn it.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Great bowl!
I really do like the smell of Mesquite being turned. With all of the features that it has---it really is the perfectly imperfect wood.
Guess I'll have to put some up for sale soon so others can try it too.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Kerry in Texas traded me some box elder for this chunk of Mesquite when I visited the boys in texas. I had to put it in my oven on the lowest setting for a few hours to kill the wood munchers that where busy inside of it. :sarcastic: This was my first time turning Mesquite and I really liked it. This piece was quite dry and it still turned beautifully, small chips where flying! It sanded beautifully and quickly as well, has a nice smell to it too. And the wood itself is just beautiful, lovely grain. So as is usually the case with Mesquite it had some large grub holes and tunnels in it thad needed to be filled. I used this opportunity to experiment with tinted epoxy, never did any of this before.
I think the feature ring of epoxy around the rim came out nice.
View attachment 195532
Sanded from 150 through the grits to 400 and the finish is varnish and wax.
View attachment 195533View attachment 195534View attachment 195535View attachment 195536
Its 10" across and 2" tall.
View attachment 195537
Looks kinda nice on the singer table.
View attachment 195538
The guys gave me some Mesquite logs, can't wait to turn more of this stuff, it was very enjoyable. So what say you Texans? Did I do it justice?
Beautiful!