• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

2 finished projects - and a question

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
I finished these for a friend. He has an outdoor bar/event venue in Katy, TX. The purple tree (the color may get changed) on the cabinet is his logo - Toddy Oaks. Which is why I chose to make the cabinet from oak. mistake. After realizing this mistake, I made the check-in table from Ash.

The check-in table has a slot below for the cash drawer and another compartment for all the wires. The POS, card reader and printer sit on top.

The cabinet will be used for an outside bar, to hold its needs such as bottles of liquor and wine, napkins, cups, straws etc, and a POS which will be velcroed to the purple logo, which spins around. The top left drawer is for the cash drawer and the top right is for wiring.

He wants another cabinet like this. I will not use oak. I used Total Boat penetrating epoxy on it and it still moved. Granted, we had lots of rain and it was in my garage shop, but I want to use a more stable wood. The cabinet will be outside a few evenings a week under a massive oak tree, so not in direct sunlight. It will be stored inside an air conditioned building when not in use.

I want to use a more stable wood. What are your suggestions for a more stable wood. Redwood? Cedar? Cypress? Ash?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Robert 20210520_164817.jpg 20210520_164718.jpg 20210525_131317.jpg 20210525_132017.jpg 20210525_131949.jpg 20210525_131907.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
If you will search “Stable Wood Species” you will see a thread I started some time ago. Mesquite was one of the most stable. Chuck

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Robert, White Oak is a good choice for an outdoor project. Relatively inexpensive and it will hold up to the elements well.

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Robert,
Check out cypress, stable, durable, easy to work and you should be able to find it in the Houston area. Jim