DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I don’t have an Instagram account, and I watched Hilarie’s video. I really like the deeper sound! Chuck

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Beautiful playing and I love that sound of that “deeper tone”, more open, warmer, very slightly darker tone- I would associated all of that with the lower tuning.

This type of banjo tone would be fascinating to use on acoustic style, open tuning, heavy metal/ballad style tunes (Metallica & System of a Down comes into mind)- yes, I know it is very against the grain with the normal genre. You are probably thinking that is sacrilegious, but if you create things, you have to have an open mind. I can hear that “cross-over” based on the tone and an instrument should be limitless regardless in the style of playing.

Thank you for doing that and sharing us the video!

Last edited:

stephen45710

Reaction score
First name
Stephen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Beautiful playing and I love that sound of that “deeper tone”, more open, warmer, very slightly darker tone- I would associated all of that with the lower tuning.
Totally agree with this. She is a great player who knows how to adjust her style to bring out the best in this instrument.
This type of banjo tone would be fascinating to use on acoustic style, open tuning, heavy metal/ballad style tunes (Metallica & System of a Down comes into mind)- yes, I know it is very against the grain with the normal genre. You are probably thinking that is sacrilegious, but if you create things, you have to have an open mind.

I couldn’t agree more! I understand traditionalists views but I don’t think anything is sacrilegious when it comes to music. I’ll build an instrument however somebody is envisioning it and they should play it how ever they want (genre or style or method). And music is meant to evolve in my opinion. I think boundaries are meant to be challenged in music. If it sounds good to you, your doing it right.

Actually there is a phrase that I really appreciate. The phrase is “no stitch counters allowed“. My understanding is this phrase originates from the Civil War reenactment crowd. When somebody who thinks it a piece of clothing is “wrong” because it has the incorrect number of stitches.

Sometimes with traditional music you’ll hear people say that you’re playing the tune wrong because you’ve modified it in someway from the original “source” recording. I don’t like playing with those kind of people and sometimes their company is unwelcome and with the phrase “no stitch Counters allowed”. 😜
I can hear that “cross-over” based on the tone and an instrument should be limitless regardless in the style of playing.

Thank you for doing that and sharing us the video!
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Being from banjo country it was odd, but very satisfying, hearing those deeper tones. I remember one time long, long ago when I first moved here, I heard a much larger banjo - something like 3' diameter head and over 6' long/tall. It was 4-string and being played as a bass. Pretty cool. With the 50th anniversary Fiddlers Jamboree being held a couple of months ago, we tend to hear more fiddle music than banjo though. Well, unless "Happy Feet" is around or somewhere where mountain music is played.