Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

2019 Spring Pen Blank Swap

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by Eric Rorabaugh, May 8, 2019.

1. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Diagnosed with addiction by my wife..wood hoarding Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Eric
    Well, it's about time to start the 2019 spring pen blank swap. I've already got the box ready to go. I know some people were interested but didn't have the 100 posts. Sign ups will be cut off at 7 pm EST on May 15. That will give people a week to get the posts and sign up.

If your not familiar with a pen blank swap basically, the first guy in line fills a box and mails it to the next guy. The next guy takes what he wants from the box, replaces the items with some of his own and sends it on to the next guy. The last guy in line sends it back to the first guy and that completes the circle and ends the pass.

Here's some simple rules to keep it fair for everyone participating.

1. Use a USPS small flat rate box of WOOD blanks or hybrid blanks (wood/acrylic).

2. Participants should live in the Continental U.S., Alaska or Hawaii to keep the costs to a minimum for shipping purposes. I don't feel it would be fair for one or two folks to have to pay international shipping while the rest of us are paying a couple few bucks.

3. Members must have at least 100 posts, be able to post pictures, and you need a picture as your avatar to participate. I really dislike the cheesey stock avatars, and this let's us know you're able to upload a picture as well.

4. When you receive your package, you must post an in focus and clear picture of the contents.
    Please do not post pics of the contents that you ship to the next guy, only what you received.

5. Take as few or as many blanks as you like but you must replace with the same number of blanks so there is always 20 blanks going to the next person.

6. The blanks you add to the box must be of at least equal value to the blanks you take out. Now, I don't expect anyone to set down and research blank value or anything. Just don't remove a higher end burl or something similar and toss in a plain maple blank. Remember, your posting a pic of the contents that you receive and the next guy is going to post pics of the box when he/she gets it, so we will know what you took out and what you put in. This is suppose to be fun, please don't ruin it by using this to get rid of your junk. The blanks you add need to be something you would want to receive or would buy.

7. The blanks should be labeled with their ID to the best of your knowledge. Not all of us are wood I.D. guru's just yet!! And please, no more than 2 of one species.

8. When the final list is posted, Start a conversation with the person you will be sending the box to and ask for their shipping address. Please do this before you receive the box so that when you do get it, you can get it shipped back out in a timely fashion. If we run into a problem with someone not responding to the conversation's, we'll just skip them and move on to the next person.

9. Anything involving this box pass including the pics of the contents you receive should be posted to this thread. Please don't start a new thread to post your pics. We don't want to clutter the site when it can all be contained here.

10. Those involved in this pass, pay attention to your PM's and stay tuned to this thread for pics as it makes its way across the country and back a few times!! This could take about a month or so to get through everyone so be patient.

I think that just about covers the rules. If you think I have missed something, please let me know.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++r13
    Updated the final shipping list.
    Okay here it is after going through the random generator...
    1. @Diver Temple
    2. @The100road
    3. @woodman6415
    4. @Rich P.
    5. @Rocking RP
    6. @Gdurfey
    7. @Karl_99
    8. @CWS
    9. @ripjack13
    10. @Bob Ireland
    11. @Tony
    12. @Eric Rorabaugh

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019 at 10:34 PM
  2. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I'm in first so I should be first in line

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Diagnosed with addiction by my wife..wood hoarding Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Eric
    Depends on how much you pay the "random order generator"

:lol2:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
  5. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    I’m in for some excitement.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bob Ireland

Bob Ireland Member Full Member

First name:
    Bob
    Looking forward to being able to participate. 4/5 of the way there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    Just look at all different threads and comment on them. You can get to 100 in less than 10 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Mark me in

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rich P.

Rich P. Member Full Member

First name:
    Richard
    Count me in.
    RichP

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  11. Diver Temple

Diver Temple Member Full Member

First name:
    Mo
    Please add me! Goodie goodie goodie!!! Buying a new saw and disc sander this week to make some better segmented blanks. Looking forward to seeing how they come out and what I can add to the fun. :saw::thanx2::good2:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Diver Temple

First name:
    Mo
    By the way, and forgive the noob's question, "wood" does include stabilized and dyed correct? I also will be making some blanks out of raw wood from my dad's 17+ years of drying hoard, anything negative to aged (not punky) wood?

• Like Like x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  13. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    Dyed, stabilized, old, new, hybrid. It's all good. Just whatever is taken out is replaced with as good or better. A few people won't do these anymore because some would take say chittum burl and replace with plain cherry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Diver Temple

First name:
    Mo
    Got it. seems obvious but I wasn't sure that there wasn't a purest view to saying "wood!" LOL No worries gents/ladies, I won't cheep out. I have the absolute best Home Depot walnut boards I am cutting into blanks. :sarcastic::taunt::rofl::sofa:

• Funny Funny x 4
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  15. Rocking RP

Rocking RP Member Full Member

First name:
    Roger
  16. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    :deal: I wonder how much it'll cost to be after I get the box. Y'all know what I'm puttin in....
    :gotmywood:

Oh....almost forgot.
    I'm in.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    C'mon everybody, just a few more days to sign up. We need more people in.
    @Bob Ireland, just a few more posts and you're there!!

18. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Would if I could, can’t so I won’t.

upload_2019-5-13_8-33-41.gif

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
  20. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    I'll fix that.....brb.

• Funny Funny x 1
Current Time: 3:25 PM