2nd bowl

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Any/all feedback appreciated. This one really fought me on every front. A guy who knew a guy who knew me gave me several blocks and said they were willow. If this is true, then I have to say willow is a real pain in the buns to work with.

That aside, I left a little nub on the bottom because the bowl started to crack and I was worried it would split in two. The interior of the bowl was also an issue.

Sanded to 600, linseed oil, then varathane 2x.

20210706_183037.jpg

20210706_183027.jpg

20210706_183016.jpg

20210706_183009.jpg

20210706_183001.jpg

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Funky (in a good way) shape, kinda like a ball cap. I‘m not sure if the pics show why it appears to have warped on one side, and if so, that’s cool. I would like to see a shot of the bottom, and perhaps a bit more rounding along the transition to the base. Not sure what kind of specific issue you were having on the inside, perhaps show a pic of tool being used and how you oriented it when issues arose.

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the biggest issue was that this guy started to get really fragile as I progressed. There was a lot of tearout, so I switched from carbide to a negative rake on the bottom and inside. I think the biggest issue was being able to round it out a bit on the bottom while not being able to "see" the edges as it rotated (the ghost cut stuff). This was basically a cutoff of a larger chunk of wood that I had hoped to try for live edge, but ended up having to turn it a different direction in order to get it mounted properly. I think I need a vacuum chuck.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Natural edges and voids causing interrupted cuts can be a pain. Gotta work from outside rim to inside in step fashion so you’re not trying to recut thin material. I like carbide and scrapers, but not as much as a sharp bowl gouge. This piece looks open enough to use bowl gouges exclusively and should give more control when blending.

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Natural edges and voids causing interrupted cuts can be a pain. Gotta work from outside rim to inside in step fashion so you’re not trying to recut thin material. I like carbide and scrapers, but not as much as a sharp bowl gouge. This piece looks open enough to use bowl gouges exclusively and should give more control when blending.
I am definitely going to have to invest in a good gouge or two.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Seems would have been a challenge to turn, whether Willow or not! Like the finished product! Chuck

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Nice! Way to sneak up on a shape there. Love that beveled area where you had extra wood height. Really brings out the live edge part of this turning. Willow is a bit stringy and very soft to my way of thinking leading to a tendency for tear out. Roughing out and then stabilizing would up the cost but take care of the tear out on your finishing