2nd Torrefication Test with Tiger Curl Silver Maple

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Took a white Tiger Curl Silver Maple board and roasted to 385 degrees in a convection oven to turn it a golden brown. Afterwards this board was planed down 1/8" to 3/16" to reflatten the board since it warped a little. The brown color remained after the planing because the roasting turned the board brown throughout.
PXL_20211018_035252797.PORTRAIT.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Karl, that's some nice looking results. How thick was the piece and how long did you have it in the oven? I'm curious because this is a process I've wanted to try doing sometime.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Did you use your house convection oven? Think my wife would draw the line on this! But your results are fascinating! Probably kills bugs pretty well, also! Chuck

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Very Interesting, wonder if any on has tried a roughed out (and dry) hollow form in this way....

Cliff.

Reaction score
First name
Cliff
Whoa, Nelly that is nice!! On the 2nd try, I think you should try your hand at more things!!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Karl, that's some nice looking results. How thick was the piece and how long did you have it in the oven? I'm curious because this is a process I've wanted to try doing sometime.
This took 2.5 to 3 hours because I left it at the lower temps for a little longer this time while I was outside working.

Did you use your house convection oven? Think my wife would draw the line on this! But your results are fascinating! Probably kills bugs pretty well, also! Chuck
Wife is wanting a new oven anyway so no worries here as long as I exhaust the fumes outside. Wood definitely gets way hotter than most kiln so theres no way bugs could survive this process.

Very Interesting, wonder if any on has tried a roughed out (and dry) hollow form in this way....
Thinking about try a twice turned bowl next, but don’t want to risk anything nice. Too much work goes into a hollow form to risk on of those.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
@Sprung, The maple board started out a little larger than 4/4 and is currently 7/8“ after planing. I’ll probably test something thicker next time.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
So you don't think it would turn well?
The darker the wood then more brittle the wood, but keeping the temps at or below 380 degrees should be OK for turning wood. Luthiers often keep the max temp well below 380 degrees and sometimes even below 300 degrees.

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
This took 2.5 to 3 hours because I left it at the lower temps for a little longer this time while I was outside working.

Wife is wanting a new oven anyway so no worries here as long as I exhaust the fumes outside. Wood definitely gets way hotter than most kiln so theres no way bugs could survive this process.

Thinking about try a twice turned bowl next, but don’t want to risk anything nice. Too much work goes into a hollow form to risk on of those.
How bad is the smell when doing this? Drive you outta the house....or just noticeable and different?
What if I stuck a batch of chocolate chip cookies in too???
🤔

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
I
So you don't think it would turn well?
I think it could be problematic. As Karl referenced luthier work, any neck I've seen sold roasted, it is warranteed without a finish. That shows the physical wood composition change that takes place during the process. Any non roasted neck requires a manufacturer finish process as well for warranty. They also go to the extent to advise when drilling the neck (if not predrilled) to use oversized bits to counter screw stress cracking.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
How bad is the smell when doing this? Drive you outta the house....or just noticeable and different?
What if I stuck a batch of chocolate chip cookies in too???
🤔
At lower temps below 300 degrees it might smell like you’re baking cookies depending on the wood. 🍪🍪🍪

At higher temps it will smell like you’re burning those cookies which won’t please your spouse if you’re not using an exhaust fan. Stay below 400 degrees and avoid getting the wood near any hotspots to avoid a fire hazard.🔥🔥🔥