• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

4-jaw chucks

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
The lathe I have purchased from Tony is great! He added some tools and I will be using the faceplate to start with my projects but I plan on getting a 4 jaw chuck in the future in case I don't want the extra steps of removing evidence of the screw holes. Right now the holes are fine as they will be covered by a separate cylinder, but I might start making cylinder resin lamps with exposed resin on both ends.

The 4-jaw chucks that I have found online are mostly 4 inch but I will be making 6 inch diameter cylinders. If I find a 6 inch chuck is that a true 6 inch jaw that will grip the outside of the cylinder? Or should I look for a slightly larger one like an 8 inch chuck?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
The 4 inch one will work fine James. You turn a tenon on the end of the piece to grip in the chuck, not the whole piece.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
If you can grip a 4" tenon, that chuck will grip anything you can turn on that lathe. Is that a 12" throw on the lathe?

Don't know what chuck or jaws you have, but you don't want to grip anything with the jaws wide open. At that point, the only contact with the jaws and the wood is on the outside points of each jaw. The better grip by jaws is when there is about a 1/8" gap between the jaws when tightened. I turn up to 12" bowls and use 70mm jaws with a tenon size between 2.75 and 3".