.450 Bushmaster

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Any of you guys done any hunting with the Thumper? Seriously considering getting a upper for my AR. Would like to set it up as light as possible with a 16" barrel. Seems like it would make a good woods hunting gun. They are a little pricey but because I already have a lower or 2 it would not break the bank.

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Similarly is the .458 SOCOM. Cut it's teeth in Afghan and gained fame in Texas hog hill country. Very similar to a 45-70, and uses OE mags.

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
I looked at them. From what I understand the recoil is about that of a 12 gauge and the ammo is stupid expensive or is was when I was looking at them last year. My father and I ended up going with 350 legends and can’t be happier. Will be one of my cheaper guns to reload for. There are a lot of new awesome straight wall cartridges out there now

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I looked at them. From what I understand the recoil is about that of a 12 gauge and the ammo is stupid expensive or is was when I was looking at them last year. My father and I ended up going with 350 legends and can’t be happier. Will be one of my cheaper guns to reload for. There are a lot of new awesome straight wall cartridges out there now
Around here we call it the .458 soak Em. because of the ammo cost :lol2: Let me know how the reloading goes for the .350, I'm thinking about buying a set of dies. The factory ammo is pretty expensive, especially for hunting rounds. I'm pretty well stocked with small rifle primers and have a full pound of Lil' gun powder.

Last edited:

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
Around here we call it the .458 soak Em. because of the ammo cost :lol2: Let me know how the reloading goes for the .350, I'm thinking about buying a set of dies. The factory ammo is pretty expensive, especially for hunting rounds. I'm pretty well stocked with small rifle primers and have a full pound of Lil' gun powder.
Getting the right headspace on straight wall ammo is where I get confused. I will def let you know I have several thousand small rifle primers and cast 9mm and 357 projectiles so I’m hoping this will be a real cheap one to shoot. That’s another reason I went with the 350 as getting projectiles is very easy and so many different style projectiles from all the 9mm to 357 mag and I’ve heard guys swaging down larger calibers to .356 or .357 to get heavier projectiles!

how much is a box of say 180 grain soft point hunting rounds? They were cheap I mean when I say cheap they were under a $1 a pop which is rare for any hunting round in todays market.

How are primers where you are? What are they charging for a brick of them? Down here it’s $100 all day long and some places even more. The days of buying $36 bricks are over I fear? Hell I even bought a .22 rim fire reloader and bought two batches of priming compound that will do prob 1000 each but that’s for if shtf and I can no longer get them. Powder is another problem but that seems to be bouncing back a little..

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
My son bought him a box at the local mom and pop gun store just before deer season, I think it was $49. I'm sure you can find better deals. Primers and powder are pretty expensive and scarce, I'm fortunate to have a decent supply.

Stuart

Reaction score
First name
Stuart
I have two 450 Bushmasters. One is in the Ruger All American Rifle, very accurate firearm. The other 450 Bushmaster is on an AR platform. The lower is an Anderson and the 450 upper is a Bear Creek that I purchased online. Very please with the 450 Bushmaster, one heck of a hog gun.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I have two 450 Bushmasters. One is in the Ruger All American Rifle, very accurate firearm. The other 450 Bushmaster is on an AR platform. The lower is an Anderson and the 450 upper is a Bear Creek that I purchased online. Very please with the 450 Bushmaster, one heck of a hog gun.
In VT we are not restricted to straight walled cases, however there's still a lot of interest in the new calibers. They have their place especially for youth hunters.