6"x24" Stabilizing Chamber

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Selling the 6" diameter x 24" tall stabilizing chamber I made and have been using. It has worked very well for me, but with me really scaling back on how much I'm stabilizing, I don't need to have three vacuum chambers.

The chamber is made with Schedule 40 Clear PVC, the bottom is a Schedule 40 PVC cap, and the lid is made from 1" thick PVC w/ a rubber gasket. The bottoms of the chamber is domed, so you will need to build yourself a holder/stand to hold the chamber upright.

$225 + shipping. (For comparison, a TurnTex chamber of the same size is $270 + shipping.) Shipping will probably run in the $30 to $35 range, but I can't give an exact shipping cost until I know where it's going.

I do currently have blanks soaking in it, which will be ready to be cured in a couple days. After that I plan to clean up the chamber, so it's ready to go to whoever wants to give it a new home. I can have it ready to ship out early next week.

Here's a shot of it when it was first built. It's the tall one in the pic, for those of you who might need the obvious stated. I used this one for all of my clear stabilizing work and my smaller chambers for dye work.

Chambers.jpg

Have also made a disc to help hold down the blanks in the chamber. It is made from the same PVC as the lid, just resawn to be thinner. It is not enough weight to hold down the blanks so you will need to find something on your own to add weight to hold the blanks down to keep them from floating. I have a bunch of 3/4"-16 tpi nuts that I use for weights. I asked Curtis a while ago if there were any metals that would have a reaction with Cactus Juice and he said you can use any metal you want for the weight.

Weight.jpg

While not pictured, the chamber will include about 5 or 6 feet of vacuum line with a quick connect fitting on the other end for attaching to your vacuum pump. To hook it up to your vacuum pump, you will need one of these fittings to go on the pump and then one of these fittings to go on that:

Fitting.jpg

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Nice deal Matt. I had to chuckle about your use of the 3/4”-16 nuts. I did same thing, though I used the fine thread for added weight. :ponder:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had to chuckle about your use of the 3/4”-16 nuts. I did same thing, though I used the fine thread for added weight. :ponder:

Lol! Yeah, it works! Not having any access to scrap metal cutoffs, it was the cheapest way I found to add weight.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Wish I could afford it. I really want one.

I had thought about tagging you, because I know you had expressed interest in a chamber in the past.

Even if mine isn't the one you buy, whenever you can afford to buy a chamber, buy as big as you can afford - you won't regret it. I was glad, from the beginning, that I was never limited by a little 4" diameter chamber.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I am going to give it another day or so before I cross post this for sale in some other places.