A couple more bowls

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Barb, real nice work, love that spalted Birch, is it a local wood?.
Crocy.
Thanks Richard! Yes it is. It's what's used as firewood up here. A friend had to cut one down and the base was all spalted. She asked me if I could use any of it after most of it had been cut and stacked. So I snatched up what I could. :)

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Very cool...that first one is definitely like something pulled from the ruins...a good thing. The birch is gorgeous and I think it cleaned up well considering difficulty in rectifying those little mishaps. Gotta get me some of that spalted birch!!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Very cool...that first one is definitely like something pulled from the ruins...a good thing. The birch is gorgeous and I think it cleaned up well considering difficulty in rectifying those little mishaps. Gotta get me some of that spalted birch!!
You offer up some pretty pieces of wood yourself. Maybe we can do a trade sometime. :)

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nicely done! Nobody would turn spalted wood if it wasn't so pretty... cause it can be a pain the the arse!

You might try using your roughing cuts to try different tools and techniques for getting a good finish. That way you'll know which one works best when it comes to your final cuts. I'd definitely sharpen just before the finishing cuts to give yourself the best chance to sand less. With that said, some wood just doesn't want to be round!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Nicely done! Nobody would turn spalted wood if it wasn't so pretty... cause it can be a pain the the arse!

You might try using your roughing cuts to try different tools and techniques for getting a good finish. That way you'll know which one works best when it comes to your final cuts. I'd definitely sharpen just before the finishing cuts to give yourself the best chance to sand less. With that said, some wood just doesn't want to be round!
Thank you for the tips! I'll do that. :)