A Few Pens

bamafatboy

Reaction score
First name
keith
I made these pens yesterday using some deer antler and slimline kits. The one on the left is a one piece that I modified for myself. Two of the other ones will be donated for the silent auction for our youth group at church. Will be making more of them next week. I have several pieces of antler and some more slimline kits, They all have a CA finish on them.

0907170815a_resized.jpg

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
Musta been a huge rack to get a big enough straight piece for that first pen.
Antlers are like hens teeth around here.
Everyone has some, but they don't want to sell any.
I tried to get some to make a desk set for my wife, and all I found was on Ebay & they wanted a royal fortune for them. Most of them were sheds too.

I traded some nice pen blanks to a gent on IAP for some antler awhile back.
Not the best I ever saw for sure, but I think I can make them work.
I wanted to build a desk set for my wife with a matching pen & pencil, a letter opener, a magnifying glass and a desk holder made from some antlers & exotic wood.

Last edited:

bamafatboy

Reaction score
First name
keith
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The long slimline was made from a tine that was off a huge rack. I get my antlers from a few deer processors around here. I made them a few pens in trade for the unwanted antlers left behind. I am getting low but I figured a way to use the pieces that have curves in them. It is a tricky task but doable.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Nice pens! Never turned antler. Someone on this site must have a source for antlers. Chuck

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
The long slimline was made from a tine that was off a huge rack. I get my antlers from a few deer processors around here. I made them a few pens in trade for the unwanted antlers left behind. I am getting low but I figured a way to use the pieces that have curves in them. It is a tricky task but doable.

You should do a tutorial with pictures :cool:

I really like how the one piece came out.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Good tip about local processors, we have one nearby as well. Need to see if they have some cast-offs. Only turned antler once for a turkey call mouthpiece, harder than expected. From what I understand, it's a good thing I don't smell good. Let me rephrase that, it's a good thing I don't have a keen sense of smell. :sick:

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
The best way to turn antler is to let it dry in the Sun a few weeks.
Soak the inside with thin CA glue & let it dry.
Several thin coats are way better than one thick coat.
It will turn a lot easier, and not smell so bad using this method.

Last edited: