Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

A little something

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by Nubsnstubs, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Jerry
    One of the guys in my woodturning club is a retired colonel dentist. A little short runt. He just found out that he is allergic to Mesquite. About 2 months ago he called me and told about a property in his neighborhood that the owners were clearing the land of all vegetation. Everything!!! That included about 50-60 Mesquites of various sizes. I got with another turner and we met up at this property. We were immediately told that "if ya want it, take it". I decided I wanted only 3 trees. We got our trees cut down, and I proceeded to cut it into 2 1/2" thick slabs. I gave the Colonel two book matched slabs. he was a happy camper, until he started itching a few days later.
    Yesterday he called and said any and all Mesquite blanks and wood he has is mine if I want it. Well, it's hard to turn down wood that I milled, so I went over today and loaded up all that he was getting rid of.

To my surprise, a lot was Desert Willow, and there are 2 pieces of Maple he got in Pennsylvania. All are sealed, and ready to be mounted. Check it out below.

20190927_165101.jpg

I don't know what to do with it because my lathe is still over at a friends house. I'll use some, but will give up most of it. When I unload the truck, I'll take individual pictures and post them here for sale or trade. the Desert willow looks interesting. It's the stuff that's wrapped......... Jerry (in Tucson)

• Way Cool Way Cool x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • +Karma +Karma x 2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Incredible treasure trove! Seems a great time to pay it forward! Chuck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Chuck, that's what I intend to do with most.......... I'll unload the truck about Wednesday, take some pictures, sort through the blanks, and then post what might make some of you guys happy. I do have to give some to some of the club members though. ........ Jerry (in Tucson)

• Sincere Sincere x 1
  4. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Great “find”” !!
    Taking care of friends is a reward in itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    Dessert Willow, Chilopsis linearis, is usually a large shrub...?.. Based on the "milk" crate comparison, that is huge.

Wonder if it is actually x Chitalpa, one of the Dessert willow and Catalpa hybrids...??..

• Sincere Sincere x 1
  6. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Today, I finally had a chance to look at this wood more carefully. Most of what is labeled Desert Willow is actually Apple wood. Then, there were a couple labeled Desert Willow that is wood I've never seen before. It also looks like there are a couple pieces of Mesquite that tried to get spalting going, but didn't quite make it. Tomorrow I'll get pictures of this stuff after I run it through the jointer to clean it up some.

Mark, you always tell people who are going to send you a sample that they need to be a certain size. Would pieces larger work for you? I would think you have equipment to mill woods to make your sample size. I cut a piece today that might be DW, but it's about 1 1/4" thick, 4" wide and about 6-7" wide. I could send that to you if you want. I'll make up more of the other stuff, including bark if you like. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

7. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    Thank you for the offer Jerry. I have a few pieces of Dessert willow from a fellow member here. I was trying to be helpful as some sizes seemed wrong for the name. Yes, I have re-milling capabilities. I assume you meant 6-7" long, since wide was mentioned twice. I'm good for Dessert willow common growth, looking for a burled sample. Same for the Mesquite, now looking for burled samples. So if you know the species, keep me in mind. Thank you.

8. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    oops. that should have been 6-7" LONG. Getting old as Mike.

Mark, do you think it could be Desert Elm if that's the proper name? I know where there's a lot of that growing........

Mesquite burl?? Heck, I got some of that. It's about 60 years dead. Color is gorgeous...... Want some? Got a ton of Cottonwood burl. Want some of that? .......... Jerry

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  9. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    Dessert elm is a name often used for Chinese elm, Ulmus parviflora, a common landscape tree. A quality end grain picture should reveal if it is in the the elm family. Siberian elm, Ulmus pumila is also an invasive common tree in AZ.

Yes, I have interest for sure in a burled sample of Mesquite. Do you know which one (species)?

Likewise, Yes for the cottonwood too. Which species? I lack having any samples of Fremont cottonwood (Populus fremontii) and Narrowleaf cottonwood (P. angustifolia). These two trees also hybridize to produce Populus x hincleyana, which I also lack.

Thanks Jerry

10. vegas urban lumber

vegas urban lumber Member Full Member

First name:
    trev
    i have gotten a couple of desert willow logs, landscape removal, grows as a tree here, it has pink flowers. when i find it on wikipedia they call it desert willow commomly but
    Chilopsis scientifically

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilopsis, nice looking wood, mine are drying whole haven't been slabbed yet

11. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Mark, I am certain the Mesquite would be Velvet. It's our native, and where I got the burl is out in the desert. The tree was pulled out of the ground by the ranchers back in the late 60's- very early 70's so grass would grow for their cattle. Most of the tree trunks are still around even today on one ranch I visit.

All I can say about the Cottonwood is it grew along Milk Creek in the Bradshaw Mountains west of Prescott, Arizona. I have a thread here from a few years ago showing the actual tree I got the burls from. Just under a year year ago, I posted a thread showing the pieces of burl I got.

As far as the Elm goes, what I have was collected grew along Milk Creek, but it just happened to be where a small mining settlement was in the late 18 hundreds. It could be a transplant. The Elm I got from there had open growth rings like Ash and Oak. ................ Jerry (in Tucson)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  12. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Thanks, Trev. the link posted has this at the end of it. The wood was used to make bows and baskets.[7]

Apparently it's a native also. On Valencia Road from my cross street to I-19 is about 6 miles. There has to be at least 300 of them planted along it in the last 6-7 years. I haven't gotten any of the wood from that species yet, so don't know what it looks like...........

13. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    It looks a LoT like Catalpa...

14. vegas urban lumber

First name:
    trev
    here's a table i made that includes some of what we commonly call desert willow. landscape mullberry on the out side and desert willow squares in the middle this was a small shrub like tree no bigger than 6 foot tall with about a 6" trunk, the center had gone soft like areas in peckywood cedar, the last one i got was 30 ft tall and about 14" across at the stump, growing in the front yard of a house, tree was probably no more than 30 yrs old, good solid wood throughout, nice medium brown color, very little sap wood

table1.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    upload_2019-10-4_13-39-27.png upload_2019-10-4_13-40-35.png upload_2019-10-4_13-42-2.png
    This is what Wiki says...

16. vegas urban lumber

First name:
    trev
    we have fremont cottonwoods here in las vegas

17. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Mark, looking at those maps, up near Prescott, both species would be there. I've only seen Fremontii leaves on any of the Cottonwoods around the area. I suppose I'll have to pay more attention to them when I go back up there at Thanksgiving. Trouble is, if it's a cold fall, the trees have shed the leaves.
    I have access to several properties along the Hassyampa River that is loaded with Cottonwoods. Last time though, I found a dead Walnut tree about 1/4" mile above the river. Cottonwood was the last thing on my mind. I think I need a bigger trailer.... Jerry (in Tucson)

18. Maverick

Maverick Member Full Member

First name:
    John
    @Nubsnstubs very nice haul. Let me know if you are making a road trip west. :cool:

19. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    I hear you. I saw the overlap and simply thought "Screwed" for ID. same with the walnut, my mind may have been just as focused.

We'll see in time what may be...thanks.

20. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    John, I can't go into California any more. I'm a fugitive seat belt felon. ............... Jerry (hiding out in Tucson)

• Funny Funny x 2
Current Time: 9:16 PM