A non-wood venture

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I'm just going to try something out that involves the 3 Rs - Resin, Rocks, Resawing.

20190320_092641.jpg

But when I went to mix the resin I find that, at some point, evidently my B side was exposed to air and it's gelled. So now I have to wait for an order to come in.

*sigh*

And I may be looking at having to get some more of that cutting board material - amazing how fast it goes when you actually start using it :lol2:

Oh, and a question for those of you that might do this sort of thing (only with different materials) - what do you call the stuff you wrap around the outside of a pendant that you can attach the chain/whatever to? I've been searching Jewelry Findings but that's not (yet) been giving me what I'm looking for. Thanks.

EDITED: I did just find out that it's called a bezel. Random Googling does have its uses.

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Sounds interesting... looking forward to seeing what you create.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'm just going to try something out that involves the 3 Rs - Resin, Rocks, Resawing.

View attachment 162850

But when I went to mix the resin I find that, at some point, evidently my B side was exposed to air and it's gelled. So now I have to wait for an order to come in.

*sigh*

And I may be looking at having to get some more of that cutting board material - amazing how fast it goes when you actually start using it :lol2:

Oh, and a question for those of you that might do this sort of thing (only with different materials) - what do you call the stuff you wrap around the outside of a pendant that you can attach the chain/whatever to? I've been searching Jewelry Findings but that's not (yet) been giving me what I'm looking for. Thanks.

EDITED: I did just find out that it's called a bezel. Random Googling does have its uses.
Ken, I've had success heating the B side to perhaps 130-150 F in my dishwasher kiln to get back in a more flow able state. That being said, if the materials are special that you're casting, probably smart to replace as you did.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ken, I've had success heating the B side to perhaps 130-150 F in my dishwasher kiln to get back in a more flow able state. That being said, if the materials are special that you're casting, probably smart to replace as you did.

Maybe not really special but I figured it was worth replacing. I know that when glue gets in that weird state it's not recoverable and since there's all sorts of chemistry involved in this stuff working correctly and the amount was relatively small (about a pint or so) it just wasn't worth messing with.

Maybe if I'd had a half gallon or so I might think differently :)

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a couple of shots of some test (sigh, phone had that as 'great' and that they aren't (yet)) pieces.

20190403_132255.jpg

And one of them backlit

20190403_132403.jpg

Presuming I move forward I'll have to sort out some way of better polishing and sanding to get a really smooth surface.

And then I'll take a look at bezels or some other method of putting them on a chain.

Edited to add:

Those were sliced on the tile saw and then "squaring" done on the HF 12" sander at 120 grit on the edges. The faces are off the tile saw and then just a bit of 3000 and 5000 grit sanding and then some polish. Clearly need more sanding at a lower grit first before the polishing starts.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to have some sort of holder to help make the sanding/polishing safer, easier, and more repeatable. Not being entirely sure how they'd react I was wearing my face shield when I put stone to sandpaper on the 12" step.

Last edited: