A Simple Whiskey Tumbler

CutterNorth

Reaction score
First name
Denis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My scotch of choice is Ardbeg Ten, so I'm cool with peat. I had someone else suggest polymerized tung oil.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
If you make it to the same design as this tumbler, you will probably find you have to drink faster - end grain oak is porous.

Think about an oak barrel and the surfaces that meet the contents - the staves are all side grain, and the end plates are side grain.

Some folks like to hammer down their scotch, but I prefer to sip ... :drinks3:

The end grain pores of white oak are not like the end grain of red oak. I've seen this demonstrated by a guy blowing through a piece 8" long into a glass of water. Red oak lets the air right on thru and you see bubbles in the water. White oak does not allow air thru. While I've not tried to make a tumbler with white oak, it should hold scotch just fine.

021248082-02-oak_lg.jpg

Last edited:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I agree with David. Just let it age naturally. Most any finish you use will deteriorate over time and some may impart a bad flavor to you scotch. Maple in its natural state is pretty much odorless and it should hold up well to the alcohol. Just wash it by hand with a mild detergent and you may have to sand off the raised fibers after a few washings.

I would for sure not use any detergent. Alcohol alone will kill most bacteria and the wood itself unfinished will suck up any man made cleaning agent...

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
The end grain pores of white oak are not like the end grain of red oak. I've seen this demonstrated by a guy blowing through a piece 8" long into a glass of water. Red oak lets the air right on thru and you see bubbles in the water. White oak does not allow air thru. While I've not tried to make a tumbler with white oak, it should hold scotch just fine.

View attachment 193529
Lol. Duncan is also right on this. Your buddy must have tough lungs... and also not tough enough for capillary action.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark

View attachment 193529

You forgot to mention Tylosis, the white oak group has tylosis (tyloses) clogging the pores so that capillary action will not readily work.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I think Denis needs to turn a couple of these and see what happens. Experimentation is good. As for detergent soaking into wood, that doesn't seem to happen with wooden spoons, spatulas, spurtles, etc. And if an unscented detergent is used, I doubt it will affect the taste of the scotch.
All wine glasses in high-end restaurants are cleaned with a detergent that will not leave the glass with a residual scent. https://www.amazon.com/Restaurant-Crystal-Clean-Professional-Cleaning/dp/B00AY6XNLI

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I've always cleaned wooden utensils with vinegar, i don't want dyes and petroleum based products in my food. I don't even drink out of plastic for the same reasons.

As far as the white oak, yes it does not pass liquids like red does. Now if we were talking ship building or thick stuff like cutting boards I would agree. Thin walled end grain turned items? Not a chance I would try it.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody

I've used this stuff with great success before and it can withstand anything thrown at it. It would be a good sealant but then there's the whole food safe topic... once cured fully it shouldn't be a problem but I'm on the fence on what I consume stuff out of.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
What thickness do you need? I know I don't have any but others on here might be willing to trade you some for a tumbler. If no one steps up with the oak, I'll buy a piece from Hearne Hardwoods and do a trade with you. Rick has 12/4 in stock.

Last edited:

CutterNorth

Reaction score
First name
Denis
I have a bunch cut for firewood but nothing dry for woodworking. If ya want it its yours for price of shipping.

Firewood will work. I'd need pieces that could measure 3"x3"x4" at least. Kind of like a peppermill blank, but they don't need to be so uniform of course. I'd pay for a flat rate box full, plus a reasonable handling fee.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I haven't forgot about this... the weekend got crazy busy. I will have time this week.

CutterNorth

Reaction score
First name
Denis
No sweat. We all have plenty of projects, and this is certainly not a priority. I would like to do it eventually, so I'll keep checking in.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Had to go outback and grab a stump so this is wet as it comes.... i was also out of anchor seal (the can I had was misleading since it was empty) so I waxed the ends for you. Fits perfect in a regional rate box A, i thought this was a MFRB but once cut and fit I realized it was not.

@CutterNorth me your address so I can make sure this box isn't gonna cost a fortune to ship to you. I can always switch to a MFRB if I stop and grab some.

Just shipping cost is all I ask. Oh, and a tumbler for Larry. 20200926_144430.jpg 20200926_143756.jpg 20200926_144549.jpg

Last edited: