Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

A true Texas fact

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by woodman6415, Jun 23, 2016.

1. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    wendell
    Texas has 254 counties ...
    My dad always told the story that the reason for that is back in the day news traveled by horseback ... That each county courthouse would be a days ride ...

The Arcane Texas fact of the day:

Collin Mckinney was not only the oldest signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence (at 70 years of age), but he also lived under at least seven sovereigns during his life. He was born in New Jersey in 1766, a subject of King George, and died in Confederate Texas in 1861, aged 95. During his life he was governed by England, the American Colonies, the United States, Mexico, the Texas provisional government, the Republic of Texas, and the Confederate States of America. Incidentally, it was McKinney who advocated making counties as nearly 30 miles square as possible, with the courthouse near the geographic center, so that citizens could vote without undue hardship. After he was 75 years old, he made eleven trips guiding Kentuckians and Tennesseans to new homes in North Texas, where he helped establish the Disciples of Christ.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 3
    • Great Post Great Post x 2
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Cool stuff, thank you Wendell! Tony

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Good stuff Wendell!

I'm going to post a thread sharing my own McKinney roots.

• Like Like x 2
  4. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    The Arcane Texas Fact of the Day is a Doozy:

In Brazoria, Texas, there is a park called the "Masonic Oak Park." It is named after a live oak tree that stands in the park. The tree is called the Masonic Oak because it was under that tree that Stephen F. Austin, Anson Jones (later President of the Republic of Texas), John A. Wharton (for whom Wharton is named), J.F. Caldwell (for whom Caldwell is named), A.E Phelps, Alexander Russell, and Asa Brigham met in March, 1835. to establish the first Masonic Lodge in Texas. Jones wrote, "The place of the meeting was back of the town of Brazoria near the place known as General John Austin's, in a little grove of wild peach or laurel, and which had been selected as a family burying ground for that distinguished soldier and citizen." They met underneath what was then a very prominent, 200 year-old live oak tree. The lodge was called the Holland Lodge, named for J.H. Holland who, at that time, was the Masonic Grand Master of Louisiana. The tree still stands and it is now estimated to be close to 400 years old. You can actually visit it. It's right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.055...4!1sk8YlAS231ngqoTTI7DrU4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you look you can see both a historical marker and a granite marker erected by the Masons to mark the spot. HOW COOL IS THAT?. To think that this tree bore witness to that meeting and to every second of Texas history since then is pretty mind-blowing. I told y'all it is a doozy of an Arcane Texas Fact!

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Gotta plan a trip now! Tony

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    Was thinking the same thing @Tony

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    The Arcane Texas Fact of the Day:

Y'all realize, of course, that it took a Texan to kill Dracula, right? In Bram Stoker's classic 1897 novel it was Texan Quincey Morris who ultimately kills the supernatural vampire. Stoker describes Morris as a rich young American from Texas, and one of the three men who proposes to Lucy Westenra. Quincey is friends with her other two admirers, Arthur Holmwood and Dr. John Seward, even after Lucy has chosen between them, as well as Jonathan Harker. He carries a rhino head Bowie knife at all times, and at one point he admits that he is a teller of tall tales and 'a rough fellow, who hasn't "perhaps lived as a man should." Anyway, it's Quincey who drives his Bowie knife through Dracula's heart at the end. Unfortunately, just prior to that, he had been attacked by gypsies and his wounds end up killing him. Mina and John Harker, two of the novel's main characters, memorialize him by naming their son "Quincey."

I was curious about all of this and wondered why Soker ---- an Irishman living in England ----- had made Quincey Morris a Texan. It turned out that Stoker was just as taken by the aura/mystique of Texas cowboys as anybody, for it was when he was writing "Dracula" that the first great wave of Texas "cowboy mythos" was washing over Europe.

So, yeah. Quincey Morris, vampire slayer ---- and Texan.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    That's similar to how Holly Golightly's husband in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's ended up being written by Truman Capote as from Tulip, Texas. My dad was born there and it's where our cemetery is and where I'll end up. Truman became best friends with a man that was from Tulip Texas, a friend of dad's family that moved off and made good in the world. Funny how things like that influence larger things. I mean, how else could Tulip, Texas end up in one of the most of American film and novella classics eh.

9. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    The Texas Quote of the Day is a description of the building of the first Pecos High Bridge by a man who helped build it:in the early 1890s:

:"Three separate 'frogtowns' sprang into existence [frogtowns were camps that 'hopped along,' keeping up with construction]. Although these "towns" were only 300 feet apart they might as well have been 50 miles apart, for you had to go either up or down if you went visiting and it was dangerous climbing.

There were 13 saloons around the Pecos bridge while we were building it, some on the west rim of the canyon, some on the east rim and some down in the canyon. Blaine and Sinclair had a big tent saloon with boarded sides on the east rim and there was another operated by a man named Sikorski.

Supplies were let down from the west rim on a derrick. Torres, the justice of the peace who defeated Bean, had build a saloon and 'frontier amusement palace' down in the canyon. When he opened it up he let 13 women over the side on the derrick and was ready for business.

The saloon building and all of the smaller rooms were build of ocotillo stalks for walls, with brush roofs. There used to be some high old times in that place, I'll tell you, especially around pay day. Some of the boys who lost their money quickly at faro or monte could always sneak around and peak through the ocotillo stalks and see how the rest of the crew were spending their money."

----- James McMullen, interviewed by Sam Woodford and quoted in the "San Antonio Light," 1955

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Just found this thread! Awesome! Here are a few ramblings about your info!

Through our (my wife and me) hobby of geocaching we are trying to complete the TX County Challenge geocache (GEOCACHE). Grant it we have slacked off quite a bit in the last year but still plan on completing it. We have been to 247 of the 254 counties in Texas and I have taken pictures of the courthouses in the majority of the counties.

There used to be a geocache here, close to the tree to bring you to this site. It has since been archived but we visited the tree a couple years ago. Geocaching takes you to areas of coolness that you never would have known about

How cool is this! My brother and I had a deer lease just north of the Pecos High Bridge. If you look north of the bridge there is a railroad bridge crossing of the Pecos. The old water tower that supplied the water for the railroad is still on the east side. Our camp was in the shadows of this tower and it supplied water for our use.
    (BRIDGE and CAMP)
    Another cool fact is that the military had a strong existence here to protect the bridge from saboteurs during the war (can’t remember which war) and we found old relics on our lease. (Buttons, etc) One day while enjoying viewing the bridge at the rest area we met an older gentleman that was by himself. Of course I had to engage with him and found out he and his brother worked at the construction site there at the bridge. His brother was killed there. He had some cool stories about the area. During our stay at the lease (7 years) Lake Amistad was down by 60ish feet. Since then it has filled back to pool but it caused the Pecos River to be way down and affecting the canyons on our lease. We found petroglyphs in a couple of them that are now covered back up by water. Seminole Canyon State Park is within spitting distance of our gate

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  11. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    How about this ... A woman could be a lawer and judge in 1925 but couldn't serve on a jury till 1954

On January 1, 1925, Governor Pat M. Neff appointed an all-woman state Supreme Court, the first in Texas and in the nation. The case before the court involved the Woodmen of the World. All three justices belonged to this organization and were consequently disqualified. Since most of the other judges in Texas were also Woodmen, Neff decided to choose female lawyers as famales were ineligible for lodge membership. The special court first met on January 8, 1925. Women did not serve on juries in the state until 1954. Here we see Hattie Henenberg, Hortense Ward, and Ruth Roome. All three were well-established lawyers and all three had long, distinguished careers. image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  12. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Texas was also the first state to use the letters t, e, x, a, and s to spell its name. No other state before had thought of it. I didn't read that anywhere, I just sort of had a sudden moment of brilliance.

:read:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  13. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Here's a couple trees worth the field trip to check out the history involve with them.. I love this stuff!!

Click on the title for links

Hanging Tree - Hallettsville, Texas - Old Pockets hung from this tree -
    [​IMG]

Urrea Oaks - Refugio, TX - shade for a General

[​IMG]

OK OK one more!

Lonely Grave, Spooky Site - another hanging tree with a twist!

[​IMG]

OK Wendell I'll give your thread back to ya now! Sorry!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  14. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    Might stop touching those bare electric wires ..sudden moments of brilliance should stop ...

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    Please don't stop .. This stuff is so much fun and entertaining ..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Thought this was appropriate here........

And God Created Texas . . .

God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the archangel, found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired, "Where have you been?"

God smiled deeply and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds,
    "Look, Michael. Look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled, and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, and I've put life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a place to test Balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, "I'm still confused."

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe is going to be poor.
    Over here I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. Balance in all things."

God continued pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a land area and said, "What's that one?"

"That's Texas, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills, and plains. The people from Texas are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent, humorous, but proud and they are going to travel the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achieving, carriers of peace, and producers of good things."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then asked, "But what about balance, God? You said there would be balance."

God smiled, "I will create Washington, DC. Wait
    till you see the fools I put there."

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    We had a hanging tree here, I think most communities did. It was a massive white oak that started dying of old age in the late 80s.
    I remember thinking around 90/91 "I better get some of that wood before it's all gone" but by the time I went to get some it was gone. I saw a tin type of it once from the late 1800s and it was almost as huge back then as it was before it started dying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  18. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell
    Do to the fact I started out as a pauper I hope the reverse is true !!!

On October 21, 1970, at the age of 95, Abraham Lincoln Neiman died in a Masonic Home in Arlington. In September, 1907, with his wife Carrie and his borther-in-law Herbert Marcus, Neiman established the Neiman Marcus store in Dallas, and it immediately established a reputation for high quality at a high price. But in 1928, after frequent clashes with Herbert as well as with Herbert's son Stanley, he sold his share of the business to Marcus for $250,000. About the same time, he and Carrie were divorced. Neiman started several other business over the years, none very successful. At the time of his death he was utterly destitute, his only possessions being a pair of cuff links he kept in a cigar box. So, in a twist of fate, one of the founders of the world's foremost luxury store died a pauper.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    I'm in your corner.

(@SENC would probably say you don't want me in your corner)

• Like Like x 1
    • +Karma +Karma x 1
  20. woodman6415

First name:
    wendell

Folks around the world have a Texan named Daniel Haynes to thank for a good night's sleep. In the 1880s, the Austin County settler invented the process and the machinery for manufacturing the cotton mattress. This was the forerunner of today's modern bedding. Haynes named his company for the town where he developed the machinery ----- Sealy, Texas. Thus began the Sealy Mattress Company.

• Like Like x 5
Current Time: 12:17 AM