A true Texas fact

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
All the ones I know are ... Good looking or not

Honestly my experience is that most really are. One of our daughters married into a Mexican family and while my SIL is together and cool all but one of his sisters is just like my first wife. Hope I don't come across as bashing and sterotyping .... just my experience with them.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
The funniest part about my marriage to Lisa was that I was with a light skinned black girl at the time; now get this the bkack girl's name was Rose not the Mexican lol. She treated me like a king, but the buxom Lisa stole me away with her "charms". Should have stayed with Rose and made some mulattoes.

:whatever:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Today in Texas History!

On this day in 1839, the main engagement of the Cherokee War began. The battle was fought near the Neches River a few miles west of Tyler. T. J. Rusk, Edward Burleson, and Kelsey H. Douglass led the Texas troops against Cherokee warriors led by Chief Bowl (also known as Duwali, Bowles, or the Bowl). Also on the field were David G. Burnet, vice president of Republic of Texas, and Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, secretary of war. The Texas troops numbered 500 and the Indians 700 to 800. The Indians were routed in the two-day fight, although pursuit continued until July 24. The battle virtually ended Indian troubles in the settled part of Texas

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think my fact of the day guy is still on the river ... So here goes
Not about Texas .. But a true legend

If you come to Bandera the best place to eat is OST ... Old Spanish trail ... Really great food and service ...It's divided into two dining areas ... The farthest area is called The John Wayne room ... It's wall to wall pictures of John Wayne ... And lots of facts about him and the movies he starred in .. Went there this morning for breakfast as we do at least once a week .. This picture is wall at booth we were sitting this morning
image.jpeg

This is a quote about how he got the name Duke
image.jpeg

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
The Arcane Texas Fact of the Day:

Before he went to whip up on Hitler, Mussolini and the Axis in World War II, Col. George S. Patton commanded the 5th Cavalry at Fort Clark, in Brackettville, Texas. That was in July, 1938. He was commander there for six months before being transferred. Patton loved his time at Fort Clark. The quarters in which Patton lived are still there and can be toured.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Texas had the highest number of POW camps in the USA during WWII – over 70. They housed German, Italian and Japanese soldiers. My dad remembers well the Germans working on their farm when my grandpa would go get some from the camp during harvest or some other big seasonal activity. He said they were all well-behaved, polite, and trustworthy. They were often left alone to do their work and he never heard of one trying to escape from any of the other farms. My grandma used to bring them dinner (called lunch by most of y'all) and dad said he loved that time talking to them in their broken English and that some could speak it perfectly.

One of the funnier stories was how the Germans were really impressed by armadillos. He said they called them panzer swine and that one of them said "Vee cannot vin za var against za USA - even za pigs are armored!"

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
In November, 1915, the Liberty Bell arrived in El Paso. It was on tour after being exhibited at a World's Fair. This is what the El Paso Times had to say about the event:

"El Paso saw the Liberty Bell yesterday afternoon. Twenty-five thousand people, including thousands of children, felt the thrill of patriotism as they passed in dense columns before the bell which proclaimed to the world the independence of the United States.

No other celebration in the Southwest ever called forth so many thousands of spectators — no other local event has been marked by such a unanimous display of patriotic reverence. Children and grown-ups, civilians and military, officials and private citizens alike turned out to welcome the venerable relic; and those who have traveled across the continent with the bell said during the reception that no other city on the route had surpassed El Paso in the enthusiasm of its greeting.

Although scheduled to arrive here at 2:30 p.m., it was not until 3:30 p.m. that the historic emblem of the revolution rolled slowly to the place of exhibition in front of the Stanton Street station of the Southern Pacific. Since noon the crowds had been gathering, and when the signal was given to let them pass before the bell there was a shuffling of thousands of feet along the railway right-of-way where the bell rested."
image.jpeg

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
The Texas Quote of the Day:

"Somewhere in America, 2007 ....

The sea of humanity swells and roils all the way to the horizon, thousands of eyes fixed on him, thousands of hands clapping, a chorus of voices cheering and yelling, lips whistle, feet stomping, smiles everywhere, all because of him. Lone Star flags and arms thrusting skyward, hands clutching cigarette lighters and cans of beer above heads bobbing like buoys because of the music. The old man with the wild white eyebrows and wrinkled skin, his long white hair pulled back into two braids, tries to make eye contact with as may eyes as he can in ten seconds before glancing off-handedly over his shoulder at the musicians standing and sitting behind him. He straps on his guitar and steps to the microphone with a casualness that betrays a lifetime of going through the same ritual night after night, year after year. He half sings, half talks five magic words that trigger a sonic roar: 'Whisk-key Riv-verrr take my miiiiind.'"

----- Joe Nick Patoski describes the beginning of a Willie Nelson concert in his wonderful biography of Willie, which is simply titled "Willie Nelson." A great book. Willie read it and had to ask his friends if all the stuff Joe Nick wrote about his life was true. They told him it was. All of it. ;)

Wildthings

Reaction score
First name
Barry
I think my fact of the day guy is still on the river ... So here goes
Not about Texas .. But a true legend

If you come to Bandera the best place to eat is OST ... Old Spanish trail ... Really great food and service ...It's divided into two dining areas ... The farthest area is called The John Wayne room ... It's wall to wall pictures of John Wayne ... And lots of facts about him and the movies he starred in .. Went there this morning for breakfast as we do at least once a week .. This picture is wall at booth we were sitting this morning .

I've eaten there a few times Wendell the latest last Jamuary while hunting at Hill Country Natural Area . Some good food!

Before he went to whip up on Hitler, Mussolini and the Axis in World War II, Col. George S. Patton commanded the 5th Cavalry at Fort Clark, in Brackettville, Texas. That was in July, 1938. He was commander there for six months before being transferred. Patton loved his time at Fort Clark. The quarters in which Patton lived are still there and can be toured.

I stayed at Fort Clark this last December while hunting at Kickapoo Caverns State Park. Stay in one of the barracks turned into a hotel. Also saw the quarters that you speak of. Here's the barrack I stayed in
IMG_1012.JPG

Here's the Commanding Officer Quarters

DSC_0099.JPG

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell

Arbuckle's coffee was the coffee of choice for cowboys along the various cattle trails that lead north out of Texas, but why? Well, the cook's coffee kept the cowboys going day and night. "Arbuckle Brothers," originated the idea of shipping coffee beans already roasted. Most of the coffee at that time was green and had to be roasted in the cook's skillet. Some of the descriptions of that coffee are downright unprintable in a PG forum like this one. When Arubckle's came on the scene, the brightly colored manila bag of that brand soon became a familiar sight on chuck wagons. The word "Arbuckle's," printed in bold letters across the front, had a picture of a flying angel in a long flowing skirt with a streaming red scarf around her neck. As a bonus, a stick of striped peppermint candy was in every one pound sack. When the cook hollered out, asking who wanted the candy that night, it was a comical sight to see those tough, rugged cowhands scuffle for the privilege of grinding the coffee beans in order to get the candy stick. If a cowboy had a cold or a cough, the cook could dissolve some of the peppermint in whiskey to make a remedy.
image.png

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
The Texas quote of the day is Jerry Flemmons' description of the cowboy. Jerry wrote for decades for the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

"He neither built nor explored nor populated the West but moved ever so briefly across it, as capricious and lonely as the blowing dust. Dime novelists and penny dreadful authors scribbled magniloquent lies about the cowboy for rapt eastern readers but saw him only in town, often ending long cattle drives with a few desperate hours of extravagant carousel before returning to a life of social desolation. Like a cloistered monk of some distant forgotten monastery, the cowboy served his god, the rancher, and toiled at labors decidedly unglamorous. Moving often from ranch to ranch, the cowboy made few lasting friendships. He was untutored and often illiterate. For endless months he lived on the range, burned in summer, frozen in winter, as punished as the cattle he attended. He slept on the ground under "hen--skin" blankets. He arose at 4:00 a.m., or earlier, and often was not asleep again until midnight. He was fed a constant diet of beans ------ "Pecos strawberries," greasy stews, and Arbuckle's coffee. His aches and sprains were treated with heavy coats of axle grease or prickly pear poultices. To stay away during long nights of riding herd, he rubbed tobacco juice in his eyes. He lived in a society of men and made love to the only available women, the ubiquitous "soiled doves" and "Fallen Angels" on almost a seasonal basis..."

------ Jerry Flemmons, "Plowboys, Cowboys and Slanted Pigs"

Wildthings

Reaction score
First name
Barry
Today in Texas History! July 18th

On this day in 1918, Daniel R. Edwards of Mooresville, Texas, accomplished feats of valor near Soissons, France, that earned him the Medal of Honor. He was a member of Company C, Third Machine Gun Battalion, First Division. After undergoing treatment for battle wounds and suffering from a shattered arm, he crawled alone into an enemy trench, where he killed four and took four prisoners. While he was returning to his own lines with his prisoners, his leg was shattered by an enemy shell. His bravery and gallant acts greatly inspired his comrades. Edwards died on October 21, 1967, at Little Rock, Arkansas.
http://i261.Rule #2/albums/ii55/AustinKRMH/HorrorMovies/A1A1A1_zps05410186.jpg

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Today in Texas History! July 18th

On this day in 1918, Daniel R. Edwards of Mooresville, Texas, accomplished feats of valor near Soissons, France, that earned him the Medal of Honor. He was a member of Company C, Third Machine Gun Battalion, First Division. After undergoing treatment for battle wounds and suffering from a shattered arm, he crawled alone into an enemy trench, where he killed four and took four prisoners. While he was returning to his own lines with his prisoners, his leg was shattered by an enemy shell. His bravery and gallant acts greatly inspired his comrades. Edwards died on October 21, 1967, at Little Rock, Arkansas.
http://i261.Rule #2/albums/ii55/AustinKRMH/HorrorMovies/A1A1A1_zps05410186.jpg

WHERE IS THE RESPECT ICON?!?!?!?

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
I wonder how many folks have been driving along on I-10 in Louisiana, minding their own business, heading out to Phoenix, maybe, or Los Angeles, crossed into Texas, saw this sign, and said to themselves "Oh my goodness." My guess is that, at times, something a little stronger may have been uttered. ;)

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I wonder how many folks have been driving along on I-10 in Louisiana, minding their own business, heading out to Phoenix, maybe, or Los Angeles, crossed into Texas, saw this sign, and said to themselves "Oh my goodness." My guess is that, at times, something a little stronger may have been uttered. ;)

No pic Wendell . . . .

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
Many Texans don't realize that Willie Shoemaker ---- perhaps the greatest jockey of all time, is also a Texan. Willie was born in Fabens, Texas—a border town near El Paso—August 19, 1931. Weighing one pound, sixteen ounces, he was not expected to live through the night. Maude Harris, Shoemaker’s grandmother, put him on a pillow in a shoebox and set it on the open door of an oven to keep him warm. Although he survived, Shoemaker was always small. He rode his first horse at seven and, after his parents divorced, moved to El Monte, California with his father. Shoemaker attended El Monte High School, where he boxed and was undefeated as an 80 pound wrestler before quitting school at 15 to work at a thoroughbred horse ranch. He mucked out stalls, working with yearlings, gained a great understanding of horses and the rest, as they say, is history. He ended up winning the Kentucky Derby four times, the Belmont Stakes five times, and the Preakness twice. His record of 8,833 career wins stood for 30 years. You know, now that I think about it, it sort of makes sense that a Texan would be such a great horseman, seein's how ubiquitous horses are hereabouts.
image.jpeg

Hope the pic shows up for @Kevin

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Many Texans don't realize that Willie Shoemaker ---- perhaps the greatest jockey of all time, is also a Texan. Willie was born in Fabens, Texas—a border town near El Paso—August 19, 1931. Weighing one pound, sixteen ounces, he was not expected to live through the night. Maude Harris, Shoemaker’s grandmother, put him on a pillow in a shoebox and set it on the open door of an oven to keep him warm. Although he survived, Shoemaker was always small. He rode his first horse at seven and, after his parents divorced, moved to El Monte, California with his father. Shoemaker attended El Monte High School, where he boxed and was undefeated as an 80 pound wrestler before quitting school at 15 to work at a thoroughbred horse ranch. He mucked out stalls, working with yearlings, gained a great understanding of horses and the rest, as they say, is history. He ended up winning the Kentucky Derby four times, the Belmont Stakes five times, and the Preakness twice. His record of 8,833 career wins stood for 30 years. You know, now that I think about it, it sort of makes sense that a Texan would be such a great horseman, seein's how ubiquitous horses are hereabouts.
View attachment 109312

Hope the pic shows up for @Kevin

Quick Canadian fact.........Willie Shoemaker and The Moderator Kenbo share the same birthday. August 19th. Who knew?