AAW Anyone?

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great first demo by Glenn Lucas. Boy, does he make it look easy and he knows how to use the cameras to show the best angle.

Our local club had him demo last month. He was supposed to be here in person in May, but obviously could not make it. That was a great event as well.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Last edited:

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Steve, assume then you are not an AAW member. Join, you can learn stuff all year. It’s a great organization.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I'd originally booked several vacation days to drive over to the Symposium with friends. When it was cancelled I went to work as usual and banked the time - so I could take off today to watch Glenn Lucas and Rudy Lopez give their demonstrations (plus Monday and Tuesday in case I need to practise what I've seen before I forget it.)

Lots of good stuff from both Glenn and Rudy today - looking forward to the next couple of days.

One thing I noticed today - I had a better seat than I've ever had at a real live symposium. (Not the same ambience, I admit - but nobody's head blocking my view is a definite plus!)

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I missed the whole day, I'll have to watch everything from today later on.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I missed the whole day, I'll have to watch everything from today later on.
They are saying that the recordings will be available to registered attendees for 2 weeks after the event - not sure what happens then, they might become pay-per-view or something. Hope you are able to catch the weekend shows.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Yes, as I understand that's the case. My experience with this (I've been taking a lot of Zoom classes since Covid has been going on) is that they are available for a couple weeks then you're out of luck.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
I think they take them down because many of the demonstrators make a living doing demos and it would make that more difficult. Interesting to be moving from video to DVD and now digital. It would be nice to offer video attendance even once things get back to normal for those that can't attend in person.
I was going to watch the live auction but it wasn't on. Maybe you had to register separately as a bidder?

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Enjoyed Trent Bosch’s hollowing/surface prep demonstration today. I’ve seen it before but always learn something new. Looking forward to Cindy Drozda Sunday.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Enjoyed Trent Bosch’s hollowing/surface prep demonstration today. I’ve seen it before but always learn something new. Looking forward to Cindy Drozda Sunday.

It's got me thinking about getting Trent's hollowing setup.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I’ve got it, Tony. Lucked into one from a club member selling out. In fact, just bought 2 additional cutting bars. I have the 3/4 inch and like it a lot. I don’t have the Visualizer gizmo, just the laser light. I don’t do enough hollowing to justify that expense. But the concept is really cool.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I just assembled a poor-man's visualizer system using parts bought from Amazon - a CCTV monitor for about $70 and camera for $15. The camera was "bare board" so I took a piece of 2" diameter acetal rod and turned it to fit the laser-pointer mount and shaped/drilled the bottom face so I could screw the camera PCB onto it. Took me a couple of hours, but I had fun and saved $600.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
A couple of great demonstrations today from Cindy Drozda and Craig Timmermann. Coincidentally our club has both of them demonstrating via Zoom later this month.