Acupuri wood - What is it?

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
'muhuhu' (Brachylaena), ekki (Lophira), oboto (Mammea), iroko is likely too light at 42 pcf,

I think it could be 'Angico' (Parapiptadenia rigida), 78 pounds per cubic foot, 0.95 density, na, too red and wrong continent. Well found nothing in the 'Useful Woods of the World' books, try the other book another day....

Thanks for your help. Even if it's none of those, I'm always excited to learn about new species.

So I came across this cool site, the ITTO species search that has a TON of exotic woods I've never heard of.

I ordered a board of "Acupuri" and we shall have a looksee once it arrives in a few days, i'll get some close up end grains shots posted.

Last edited:

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
Acupuri wood is sitting on my doorstep waiting to be unwrapped and investigated

I was clued into this information just now by a text from my girlfriend:

ROFL

message.JPG

Last edited:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Acupuri wood is sitting on my doorstep waiting to be unwrapped and investigated

I was clued into this information just now by a text from my girlfriend, "Joseph Edward Palas, did you buy more wood?"

ROFL

:rofl:

Man you better get her trained fast - if she's already giving you the full name treatment when she's mad what's she gonna do when she has her hooks in you!?

:scare3:

dominatrix.jpg

Oh wait that's what you're hoping for. :sarcastic:

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
Bahahahahaha!

Why do I automatically assume that you already had that image saved on your PC...

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Must be cold, she has long socks on. I assume they are just getting in from some action on the ski slopes. My daughter does a lot of crochet things, but that is likely too risky for a 4-H project....

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Yo, I havent even got the middle name treatment yet....lol

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
Ok so it was 1 week ago, but it FELT like weeks... I'll try to post a pic tonite... I'm excited! African Mystery wood ID time!

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Okay I will admit it - I could not pronounce the word "domintratrix" or whatever version you want to try - totally felt like a misipisi @Tclem stoopy but my wife knew how to even spell it. I didn't ask for websites.

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
"Acupuri" wood.
African origin.
Hard as hell (katalox hard)
Heavy as hell (maybe heaviest ive ever seen)
No smell i can tell.
This board is cracked to hell. Probably air dried.
Any ideas @phinds ?
sanded with some oil to bring out the grain. and without oil.

20161027_192333.jpg

20161027_192034.jpg

20161027_192215.jpg

20161027_192138.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Paul,

If you could lift those pictures and forward them to me, I'll send them on to Steph. Dyer, the wood anatomists from South Africa that we have dealt with before. That is if you draw a blank as first and want another opinion on the wood.
@phinds

Joseph,

If you have purchased the wood via e-bay, they are legally bound to produce paperwork on the wood as they are directly under UCON & CITES regulations. For instance, if you try selling anything on their site that has 'ivory', it is fine, until you use the word ivory, then they will pull the add immediately until it is further investigated. The term pink ivory has caused plenty of issues too, but most of those have been better handled in the recent years.
@Palaswood

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Paul,

If you could lift those pictures and forward them to me, I'll send them on to Steph. Dyer, the wood anatomists from South Africa that we have dealt with before.
Done

Joseph, those are great pics and a good cleanup job. I'm just up and have some stuff to work on today but I'll see if I can make time soon to pore through my end grain shots for comparison. The combination of sparse pores, clear banded parenchyma and rays amost the same size/distribution as the parenchyma should make it easy to pin down if in fact it's anything I've ever had a sample of.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Paul, thanks for the pictures. After a few viewings, I find it ironic how much it looks like the 'Bongossi', Lophira alata, I just got from John. I wonder if it is in the same genus or even the same species....?

@phinds @Palaswood @pinky

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Paul, thanks for the pictures. After a few viewings, I find it ironic how much it looks like the 'Bongossi', Lophira alata, I just got from John. I wonder if it is in the same genus or even the same species....?

@phinds @Palaswood @pinky
Yeah, but one problem w/ the ekki (aka bongossi) is that the rays are almost invisible at 10X whereas this mystery wood has sharp clear rays.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
OK, here are my notes:

Acupuri --- this is NOT anything I have a sample of. Putting into Inside Wood search engine those characteristics that I can readily identify, I get only 4 hits but I know nothing about any of these woods and have no idea whether or no any of the really fit the bill. Also, small variations in the characteristics entered can make a big difference in the reported results in Inside Wood and I am not expert in using their search engine. I tried looking at the end grain of each of these four on the NCSU LUNA site with the results shown.

Chrysophyllum pruniforme --- boa (ivory coast); NCSU pics show pore multiples that appear longer than what's in your wood but I can't be sure of that because I can't see you pores clearly enough.
Chrysophyllum africanum (syn. Gambeya africana) --- longhi (central africa, congo, liberia); NCSU pics show pore multiples that appear longer than what's in your wood but I can't be sure of that because I can't see you pores clearly enough.
Dialium guianense --- dozens of weird names (Mexico & Brazil); closest match I could find but again, extended pore multiples are a possible problem
Irvingia grandifolia --- lendo (west africa); more/closer-spaced rays

One of my problems is that as good as your end grain cleanup was, it was not good enough to show the individual pores clearly and I am having to interpolate from what I see to the belief (possible wrong) that there are very frequent pore multiples. Can you send me a sample of this to clean up? That actually may not do much good since I KNOW it isn't going to match any of my samples but it's possible that I'll be able to do a better job in finding something on Inside Wood

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
@phinds I will cut up the board this weekend and get that poplar to you as well. I think it may be an allergen since i got some red bumps on my wrist for a little while. i wadhed and scrubbed it and it went away. but be careful. use mask and gloves until we know more

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@phinds I will cut up the board this weekend and get that poplar to you as well. I think it may be an allergen since i got some red bumps on my wrist for a little while. i wadhed and scrubbed it and it went away. but be careful. use mask and gloves until we know more
Sounds good. I ALWAYS wear a mask in the garage since I have asthma.

Palaswood

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
So I got a sample of Ekki (Azobe, Bongossi) and this "Acupuri' wood is not the same wood.

The mystery remains...