Adding Remote Switch to Lathe? Jet 1442

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I'd like to add a remote switch that is moveable (magnetic) to my Jet 1442 and have searched quite a bit on the site and on the web in general. However, I can't seem to find any specifics on the wiring for adding one. Does anyone have advice or a source of specific information?

What do you like, dislike, or would change with your current remote switch?

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Find the booklet from your lathe. It should have some info for a remote if your motor is variable speed 3 phase.

I had an electronics engineer make my remote. He did ok on the build. It works like it should, but the wire from the VFD to the remote is a reasonably hard plastic. It's broken right where it goes into the remote box. One of these days, it's gonna short out or break completely. It's all shielded wire which is supposed to be good, but I'm gonna have to make that repair when it breaks, and I'm not looking forward to it.

........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Find the booklet from your lathe. It should have some info for a remote if your motor is variable speed 3 phase.

I had an electronics engineer make my remote. He did ok on the build. It works like it should, but the wire from the VFD to the remote is a reasonably hard plastic. It's broken right where it goes into the remote box. One of these days, it's gonna short out or break completely. It's all shielded wire which is supposed to be good, but I'm gonna have to make that repair when it breaks, and I'm not looking forward to it.

........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Thanks Jerry, but this is the 1442 VS model with the Reeves Drive so it would simply be another on / off switch that I could position near the tailstock when turning a bowl so I don't have to reach around every time I want to turn it off. Or in the unfortunate situation if something comes loose while it's running.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
That's even easier to do.
I'm not an electrician, but this is how I would do it. Get a plastic single gang water/weather tight box, lid, 2 strain relief's, and some wire nuts. Get a length SO 12 gauge stranded wire. UNPLUG the power supply. Open the switch box and remove the switch. Glue in a good magnet into the bottom of the box. (I couldn't find one for my remote, so I got the magnets that are housed in a piece of steel with a screw how hole in the center and screwed it to the outside bottom of the box).. Attach it to the box.
Wire the switch and set it in the box. Seal the box. Insert the end of the wire into the existing switch box. Black to black, white to white, and green to green. If the existing switch doesn't have the ground wire, just ground the green wire to the existing box.
Plug it back in, and start turning............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited: