Adirondack chairs and glider / rocker plans

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
My preacher asked me last Sunday if I could build a couple of Adirondack chairs and a 2-seat glider or rocker to put outside our youth building. Searching the interweb, I find a bunch of plans, some of which don’t look very substantial. Does anybody here have a good set of plans? ... and any tips, like material choice, would also be helpful.
Thanks!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I built this glider rocker back in the early 2000's. I'll have to look for the plans and see if I can find who produced them for you. The plans called for wooden brackets for the glider but I wanted metal brackets with roller bearings. I think I got the rocker arms from Rockler. So I had to modify the base. So one thing I would recommend regardless who's plans you use is to make the base wide enough to be stable when people get rocking. I also made the seat height too tall. I ended up making a post completion retrofit by adding a little platform in front so people's legs would touch the ground. I also modified the arm rests and added the cup holders sized for my tea cup.

finished front view.jpg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
@Ken Martin

Hey Ken,
Here's the info on the plans I used for that glider love seat I made. They were produced by a guy named Chris Baylor, 2009. I got them from:

Hope that helps. The plans were clear with good dimensions and all. I found them pretty easy to modify to meet my interests.

EDIT: Hmmm, I see my link was converted to something and it looks like it's now "Spruce Craft" or something. So not sure it works. But you might be able to search "Chris Baylor" and find the plans.

If all else fails, I might be able to copy these and send them somehow. My copies are a little beat up and stained and marked up with my changes.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Several years ago I was going to build a couple of chairs, and happened upon a set of plans called "Jake's chair" or Jake's Adirondack chair. If you use those search terms you'll find several places with the plans. I never did make any of those chairs, but at the time I thought they were better than most out there.

Heaqber09

Reaction score
First name
Hemer
I built this glider rocker back in the early 2000's. I'll have to look for the plans and see if I can find who produced them for you. The plans called for wooden brackets for the glider but I wanted metal brackets with roller bearings. I think I got the rocker arms from Rockler. So I had to modify the base. So one thing I would recommend regardless who's plans you use is to make the base wide enough to be stable when people get rocking. I also made the seat height too tall. I ended up making a post completion retrofit by adding a little platform in front so people's legs would touch the ground. I also modified the arm rests and added the cup holders sized for my tea cup.

View attachment 206369

very perfect designed and turned!
It's also looks fine in garden .

DWasson

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Several years ago I was going to build a couple of chairs, and happened upon a set of plans called "Jake's chair" or Jake's Adirondack chair. If you use those search terms you'll find several places with the plans. I never did make any of those chairs, but at the time I thought they were better than most out there.
I know this is an old post, but a wanted to chime in on the Jake’s chair. I made a coupe of these about 10 years ago. The most comfortable Adirondack chair I’ve ever sat in. The plans are easy to follow. I would recommend them.

Dmcoffman

Retired Rent-a-Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Don
I really liked the design of Norm Abram's Adirondack. I've probably built 20-30 of that design. I forgot how I found the plans they to were located googling.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I don't know if this is still an active project but I noticed Rockler had their double-glider plans on sale.