Alerts/Notifications

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I'm not getting alerts like I used to. For instance, someone 'liked' a post of mine a few minutes ago, but I didn't get an alert up at the top right like I used to. This has been happening pretty frequently since around the time of the last update/maintenace a few days ago.

No idea if it's related to the update or not... but any thoughts on a fix? Surely it's not just happening to me?

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Check your alert preferences in your control panel. Could be they got reset when upgrade happened.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. Just checked, everything has a checkmark.

Here's the weird part. Earlier, I got an alert that someone had replied to my thread. When I saw that there was a reply here, there was no alert. So, it seems to pick certain things to alert me about... but in no obvious method.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
@Kevin any thoughts?

I got the alert for that. I'm going to to see if there's an alert cache that can be rebuilt in the database. I think there is. Let me try that . . . .

Working on it right now....let's see that should just about do it . . .

mad scientist.jpeg

nuclear-explosion.jpg

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Oh goodness...

I did get a notification that you quoted my post. I'll let you know if this keeps on happening.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I'll have to enlist @MattW for this. I didn't see an option to rebuild alert cache. I haven't bugged Matt about anything in a few days anyway let's see what he says.

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
There is nothing wrong with the alert settings. I could see you have 1 unread alert currently.

I got the tagging alert when @Kevin tagged me.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Great. So it's just something with mine then.

I did have one alert, Tony liked my post in his thread. Didn't get one for this thread.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I did get one there. It seems that now the only time I don't get them is when someone replies to a thread that I've posted in or started. I wonder if somehow a setting got changed that subscribes me to threads when I start or post in them?

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I did get one there. It seems that now the only time I don't get them is when someone replies to a thread that I've posted in or started. I wonder if somehow a setting got changed that subscribes me to threads when I start or post in them?
Can you take a screen shot of your alert preferences?

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I think I just figured out what the issue was... I guess that when you applied that update, it somehow unchecked the option to automatically watch threads that i post in... which was originally checked by default.

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 8.55.34 AM.png

I checked it, so I'll let you know if this takes care of it. Don't know why I couldn't find that before.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Ok... last post hopefully.

This seems to have resolved it. Maybe this will help someone else if they encounter the same issue.

I'm happy now :

) Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 9.14.50 AM.png

MattW

Server Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Matt
That's good that it's sorted, however, the update doesn't change any of the users alert preferences, as they are set on a per user basis. I've updated about 10 sites now to XF1.3 and no one else has reported this, and there are no reports of this on the support forums.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I can assure you that I did not uncheck that box... and I noticed this the day after you did the update. Must be one heck of a coincidence then. Doesn't really matter though, because it's working now and I know where to go if it happens again.