all Dalbergia (rosewoods) CITES listed from January

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Effective January 2017 all rosewoods in the Dalbergia family (including African Blackwood and Cocobolo) will be listed in CITES Appendix II.

Looks like it's going to make import and export of these woods -- and products that include these woods -- more complicated.

LINK to some information.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
I thought Coco was already listed in CITES II. I know I can't export it to other countries. I may have to stock up on some more before supply dries up too much. What am I going to do if I can't get my fix?!?!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I thought Coco was already listed in CITES II. I know I can't export it to other countries. I may have to stock up on some more before supply dries up too much. What am I going to do if I can't get my fix?!?!
Switch to maple burl....:cool:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
China has not been following the rules we already have. so now we make new rules that they surely will follow.......... believed by no one it the industry. but they will make much more difficult for any of use with a 100 yr old piece of rosewood furniture to do anything with it........stoooopid

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Good thing Dalbergia Sissoo grows like weeds around here... maybe they won't let me ship it to another country though. ha ha

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I bought some indian rosewood. all different sizes. up to 3x 12". to ship out of country, they ran a router down one side with a double ogee bit and called it a finished product- trim....​

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Mike1950 I don't think that will work any more. According to the page I linked to, it covers export of items that include the listed woods -- finished items, half-finished items, raw materials.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Good thing I have about 400 Cocobolo pen blanks on hand.

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
More money for paperwork.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
@Mike1950 I don't think that will work any more. According to the page I linked to, it covers export of items that include the listed woods -- finished items, half-finished items, raw materials.

I agree my point was they will find a way around it. Would not surprise me to see painted coco.

Tclem

Reaction score
First name
Tony
Effective January 2017 all rosewoods in the Dalbergia family (including African Blackwood and Cocobolo) will be listed in CITES Appendix II.

Looks like it's going to make import and export of these woods -- and products that include these woods -- more complicated.

LINK to some information.
As long as they don't import raccoons. You are ok

:taunt::lol2::rofl::sofa:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
$heet. I just realized this could hose me up a bit, A number of my regular customers are from the middle east and regularly buy items done with Cocobolo. I'll probably have to warn them if they want to take back to their country....

Tclem

Reaction score
First name
Tony
$heet. I just realized this could hose me up a bit, A number of my regular customers are from the middle east and regularly buy items done with Cocobolo. I'll probably have to warn them if they want to take back to their country....
I've got two pen blanks I'll sell you for $100 each