America Chestnut

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
I have approximately 10,000 bf of excellent chestnut for sale from a 1920's tobacco barn I am currently dismantling near Kyles Ford TN. A partial list of material is as follows:
  • 4,000 bf of 4/4 x 10' ( board widths are between 6-13")
  • 280 LF of 7 1/2 x 5" in lengths of around 15-20'
  • 150 2x4x14'
  • 12 ea. columns 6 1/2 x 6 x 25'
  • 12 ea. columns 6 x 6 x 20'
  • 6 ea. braces 2 1/2 x 5 x 20'
  • 12 ea. 2 x 6 x 14'
  • several other items
This is one of the few barns in the U.S, that was constructed of all chestnut. The wood is in excellent condition. I am asking $10.00 pbf

Kyles Ford 15.jpg

Kyles Ford 14.jpg

Kyles Ford 13.jpg

Kyles Ford 10.jpg

Kyles Ford 9.jpg

Kyles Ford 5.jpg

Kyles Ford 3.jpg

Kyles Ford 1.jpg

Mlyle

Amateur Woodturner
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Just kidding of course!!!

So if a guy wanted a 6x6 x12”. Would that be possible?
and I suspect you are very busy with that
Beauty of a barn?

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just kidding of course!!!

So if a guy wanted a 6x6 x12”. Would that be possible?
and I suspect you are very busy with that
Beauty of a barn?
If you would make the pickup arrangements I think I could make that happen

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Barry, how did you know I was looking for some chestnut? I need a few pieces to finish a mountain dulcimer I started a long time ago. I've got the sides and fretboard, but need the top and bottom (I think - I hafta check to be sure - wifey type tends to sell things when I'm not looking). I could go up to fish the Clinch, but the part I fish is way west, below Norris Lake. Probably about 60 miles to Kyle Ford as the crow flies, but the roads up there ain't straight and it might be 100 miles by car. However, somebody did catch a big sturgeon a little above Kyles Ford a couple of years ago. Or I could go striper fishing on either Douglas lake or Norris Lake and sneak up to Kyles Ford!

Last edited:

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Barry, how did you know I was looking for some chestnut? I need a few pieces to finish a mountain dulcimer I started a long time ago. I've got the sides and fretboard, but need the top and bottom (I think - I hafta check to be sure - wifey type tends to sell things when I'm not looking). I could go up to fish the Clinch, but the part I fish is way west, below Norris Lake. Probably about 60 miles to Kyle Ford as the crow flies, but the roads up there ain't straight and it might be 100 miles by car. However, somebody did catch a big sturgeon a little above Kyles Ford a couple of years ago. Or I could go striper fishing on either Douglas lake or Norris Lake and sneak up to Kyles Ford!
If you decide to come let me know, I will be there another couple of weeks. The barn is about 100' from the Clinch

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Sounds good, and thank you - that is kind. Everything that we normally go to in the area (kinda) has been canceled - again. Antiques show at Appalachian Museum, antique show in Clinton, Oak Ridge Lavender Festival, Bamboo Fly Rod event at Townsend. Maybe I can come up with some reason to go East! Or maybe I can convince a friend that lives north of Chattanooga to do a trip to the Park - he likes fishing the Park. I do know I want to go fishing in the Tellico area - gotta find someone I can tag along with - we are all getting old now and it's not as easy scrambling over all them rocks! know my daughter would probably like to see some friends she has in Johnson City, but probably don't want Daddy and Mommy tagging along! Maybe I can make some measurements and see if it can be mailed.

Last edited:

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Sounds good, and thank you - that is kind. Everything that we normally go to in the area (kinda) has been canceled - again. Antiques show at Appalachian Museum, antique show in Clinton, Oak Ridge Lavender Festival, Bamboo Fly Rod event at Townsend. Maybe I can come up with some reason to go East! Or maybe I can convince a friend that lives north of Chattanooga to do a trip to the Park - he likes fishing the Park. I do know I want to go fishing in the Tellico area - gotta find someone I can tag along with - we are all getting old now and it's not as easy scrambling over all them rocks! know my daughter would probably like to see some friends she has in Johnson City, but probably don't want Daddy and Mommy tagging along! Maybe I can make some measurements and see if it can be mailed.
just let me know

Mlyle

Amateur Woodturner
Reaction score
First name
Michael
I do have an acct with UPS.

I think if you package it up....let me know the dimensions and weight of the package.
Then Ups could charge me directly.

I will get in touch with UPS and see where we go from there, as far as labeling. and getting the label sent to you, so the driver just comes
and picks up the package.

Wow maybe we can do this.!!!

I a m a woodturner, and interested in a piece
of a beam that i can possibly make a box or
bowl or some such piece of art. A
piece of wood that is possibly 2- 3 hundred yrs
old could be very interesting.

of course if the shipping is ridiculous...then
the whole thing would be impossible.
But a 6" x 6" x12" piece should not cost that much to ship to Wash state.

So what do you think?

if you say its a go. Then i will call UPS on monday...
and I could be out of your hair by Wednesday.

Mike Lyle

Last edited:

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
I am just getting the roof off and have taken one end wall 4/4 boards off. Next week I will start taking out the end bay which gives me access to the 6x6's. Stay in touch with me and I will get you a block brought home show you can call the brown truck.

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
I am just getting the roof off and have taken one end wall 4/4 boards off. Next week I will start taking out the end bay which gives me access to the 6x6's. Stay in touch with me and I will get you a block brought home show you can call the brown truck.
Chestnut only weighs 2.5 lbs pbf, x 3 = 7.5 lbs plus some cardboard, bubble wrap and tape