American Chestnut Wood

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Welcome from Virginia. That's a beautiful tobacco barn. Love to have that on my place

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have not made anything from any of the large Chestnut beams that I have reclaimed as of yet. I am in the process of building a larger shop and am glad you asked the question. I like building larger projects, for instance at the church I built I made an unusual chandelier out of cedar limbs. I made it to look like an elk antler chandelier. I used the limbs from some of the red cedar trees we harvested to do the interior wood finishes in the church. I could post some pics if you would like to see them.
We dont like pictures... :lol2: that's why we have this fellow with his sign :nopics:
Bring em on! This is your turn at the story telling table tell us some good ones. Even better with pictures!

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We dont like pictures... :lol2: that's why we have this fellow with his sign :nopics:
Bring em on! This is your turn at the story telling table tell us some good ones. Even better with pictures!
This is the bullet proof pulpit, it has a heart pine top and cypress wrap at the bottom. I don't want to overload you so I will deal the pics out slowly

fbc pulpit.JPG

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Welcome from Virginia. That's a beautiful tobacco barn. Love to have that on my place
Yes, I agree, I grew up raising burley tobacco and it helped put my children through school. Our family raised and traded in tobacco for 11 generations in America. My grandchildren are the first ones not to raise tobacco(yet).

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
I will stop for now with this one. I dug up the red cedar stump from one of the trees we cut for the church wains coating tables etc and turned it inside out for the Porte Cochere featured light fixture

stump light fixture.JPG

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Welcome from So Cal. Enjoy the site. Thanks for sharing some of your work. Very nicely done.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Welcome from, Middle Tennessee. Glad to have you on board. I've seen a lot of churches in my day, but none like that - kewl! I do like driving around in the fall while they are smoking the dark-fired. Daughter went to ETSU and enjoyed the time exploring your part of the country. Also built a building in Morristown quite a few years ago. Some of the workers were shooting dove from the balcony - had to put a stop to that!

Mike Hayes

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Welcome from, Middle Tennessee. Glad to have you on board. I've seen a lot of churches in my day, but none like that - kewl! I do like driving around in the fall while they are smoking the dark-fired. Daughter went to ETSU and enjoyed the time exploring your part of the country. Also built a building in Morristown quite a few years ago. Some of the workers were shooting dove from the balcony - had to put a stop to that!
Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy hit song possibility

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Jesus was a woodworker and a woodworker's son. I think he would like that Church very much and feel right at home there.

Thanks for the pics. They are beautiful.

Alan

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
I am happy to see these posts on this thread. So you build big things, a church for example. I would like to see more pictures of the church. I tend to build large things too, houses, workshops, and a house in Jamaica.