And so it begins...

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Just took possession of my first lathe, a Revo 12/16. Tools arrive Monday so there won't be any turning this weekend. But I am excited to get turning. IMG_0327.JPG

Eric Rorabaugh

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Great! You have officially stepped off into the woodworking abyss. There is no turning back now. From now on it is...more wood, more tools, more wood and even more tools! Welcome to the abyss!

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great! You have officially stepped off into the woodworking abyss. There is no turning back now. From now on it is...more wood, more tools, more wood and even more tools! Welcome to the abyss!
agree! One can never have enough tools. That's why the make both a left-hand, and right-hand bowl scraper.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Well, that gets the cheap part of turning out of the way! :lol2:
Congrats on your starting with a solid machine like that, I've heard nothing but good things on the Revo.
So...whatcha gonna turn first?
Do you have experience turning?

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Well, that gets the cheap part of turning out of the way! :lol2:
Congrats on your starting with a solid machine like that, I've heard nothing but good things on the Revo.
So...whatcha gonna turn first?
Do you have experience turning?
I am just starting so no experience other than a class. I want to turn bowls so need to get some cheap blanks, maybe just 6x6 posts from Lowes and make saw dust before buying nice wood blanks. I'll join the local AAW group at the next meeting. One nice thing is friends are already giving me limbs from trees that fell down during the last storm.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
Oh no, another one crossed over to the dark side.... Congrats Kevin!!

If you get some 6x6s (or other wood) from your big box store do not get pressure treated lumber, its dust is toxic. Take a class or two, or find a local club and/or mentor, to learn how to turn bowls. The money you spend on a class will shorten the learning curve and you'll learn a lot. Congrats on your new lathe, looking forward to seeing what you turn.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Oh no, another one crossed over to the dark side.... Congrats Kevin!!

If you get some 6x6s (or other wood) from your big box store do not get pressure treated lumber, its dust is toxic.
Right, stay away from PT lumber.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Use some of the limbs that your friends want to give you and practice. Even mini bowls.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Kevin, get some 6 x 6 cedar to practice on. Not sure if Lowe's has it, but i know Allen & Allen has it. Centrally located, not far from downtown.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Kevin, get some 6 x 6 cedar to practice on. Not sure if Lowe's has it, but i know Allen & Allen has it. Centrally located, not far from downtown.
Oh great! I'll look them up. Thank you!

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Talk to one of the guys at your local club about having someone work with you on following, roughly in this order
1. Safety-Eyewear and shields, identify crappy wood that could fly apart, proper speeds, sharp tool usage
2. Tool sharpening for gouges, skews, parting tools and scrapers
3. Proper (typical) tool for specific cuts...never use roughing gouges on bowl blanks or when wood is oriented to cut both side and end grain
4. Techniques for good tool usage

Have fun!:good2:

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Welcome to the Turning zone ….. The signpost up ahead says "free wood".....your only limit is your imagination (actually your wallet)
Getting in the local club is a good start, you'll find good folks that are helpful & don't be afraid to go.
As for here---ask away, there are no dumb questions---just ask @Tony