Another big project- a surprise

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Feeling blessed beyond measure and tired. I’m fortunate to haxe great friends that just showed up to help with our deck project ( we had a fire of suspicious origin two weeks ago), I’vot good ar asking for help — their assistance let us get done in hours what would’ve taken days or weeks. Also geatly blessed eith caring and helpful family.
If you saw earlier pics—- this is a GREAT improvement.

DCB131F2-028F-4331-8821-54DB70F16275.jpeg

60271D12-813D-48D7-897E-BF5A54160340.jpeg

F86A35D1-E377-40AA-AD3C-2C486A3F6286.jpeg

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
We really got in gear and took advantage of some cooler than usual July weather. Got it done!!! All we’re lacking is some slats to go inbetween rail supports…. That will be a later trip after I recover from busting my butt. Very blessed to have unexpected help from friends/family.

EEBFD5D5-45FA-427B-83E4-9C2C00EF53B7.jpeg

7FCB1A1A-1BA1-4B14-8F0F-E2959932ADA5.jpeg

FBE21E8D-8427-401A-A2B2-74E571C837F7.jpeg

FD27B2A9-462E-4F97-B27F-935F1639DE65.jpeg

Last edited:

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I'm leaning towards what others have said, somebody may have helped themselves and didn't know they left some embers burning but my experience in building inspection has another scenario.

1) The BBQ/Fire pit being used over the deck, constantly exposing it to very high heat, over time lowering the temp needed to start combustion. Enough pyrolysis and just 200˚f could ignite it. Then,
2) Any new, low E coated windows around, on yours or an adjacent house? I've seen these reflect the sun like a parabolic mirror so intensely that it melts the vinyl siding on adjacent house so badly, you'd swear there was a fire.

PS, you southerners with your; No frost line footings, make me nuts. :taunt:

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
I'm leaning towards what others have said, somebody may have helped themselves and didn't know they left some embers burning but my experience in building inspection has another scenario.

1) The BBQ/Fire pit being used over the deck, constantly exposing it to very high heat, over time lowering the temp needed to start combustion. Enough pyrolysis and just 200˚f could ignite it. Then,
2) Any new, low E coated windows around, on yours or an adjacent house? I've seen these reflect the sun like a parabolic mirror so intensely that it melts the vinyl siding on adjacent house so badly, you'd swear there was a fire.

PS, you southerners with your; No frost line footings, make me nuts. :taunt:

No coated windows or windows anywhere near where pit was. It was there when we bought place & no one that I know of had used in months.— Didn’t mean I liked it.
Frost line??? Only one I worry about is in the freezer.:lol2:
Do I detect a hint of envy there? Just poking a little.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Looks great! I love it when people get together like that for a greater cause, very cool.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
No coated windows or windows anywhere near where pit was. It was there when we bought place & no one that I know of had used in months.— Didn’t mean I liked it.
Frost line??? Only one I worry about is in the freezer.:lol2:
Do I detect a hint of envy there? Just poking a little.
A "hint of envy"? No, more like 48 inches worth... The depth we have to dig to get our damned footings below it. Though you guys probably have some serious requirements regarding hurricane uplift prevention too, if you're within a certain distance of the coast.

Reflection heating from the windows could be from a house 200 feet away or more. Aside from windows the large sliding glass patio doors can be even worse. You could keep an eye on that area when you're there, to see if there is a concentrated bright spot moving across it. Though it may only be exposed at a certain time of the year, as the sun moves with the seasons.

Looks like you got a nice improvement though and some bonding time with friends and family. You always know who cares and who doesn't when there's trouble to be dealt with.

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
A "hint of envy"? No, more like 48 inches worth... The depth we have to dig to get our damned footings below it. Though you guys probably have some serious requirements regarding hurricane uplift prevention too, if you're within a certain distance of the coast.

Reflection heating from the windows could be from a house 200 feet away or more. Aside from windows the large sliding glass patio doors can be even worse. You could keep an eye on that area when you're there, to see if there is a concentrated bright spot moving across it. Though it may only be exposed at a certain time of the year, as the sun moves with the seasons.

Looks like you got a nice improvement though and some bonding time with friends and family. You always know who cares and who doesn't when there's trouble to be dealt with.
You're correct about post depth and hurricanes---original posts were 6-7 feet down, deepest I could go was 5 ish. Should be enough, If it's blowing that hard or flowing that much---I ain't gonna be there.