Another day at the mill

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Got to be back at the mill today. Sawed some hemlock and cedar for a guy. Sawed a few walnut of mine and a litte 4' section of limb off one of the big maples I have over there. Was surprised when I cut it off the log and saw what was inside. Texas bound stuff!

20220528_164343.jpg

20220528_171107.jpg

20220528_171515.jpg

20220528_171533.jpg

20220528_172855.jpg

20220528_174600.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
That's sweet! I sure could go for a limb section of that for turning a hollow form:cool:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Guitar body is what you were thinking. Lol
Electric guitar tops. But, those would make spectacular pieces of furniture- gallery bench, table tops, water fall table/desk……..I hope you save some book-match pieces for you & the family when you have your dream shop build (to work on).

Arn
PS- remember that large Hawaiian plater I sent you photo’s off? This would be a no brainer for that!

Last edited:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was gonna build a dining room table for my wife from walnut and curly maple. She saw this and wants it when we slab the big log.
@barry richardson what size would work for you? I still have some limbs that I'll have to cut off before we slab it.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me get all my blanks ready for SWAT and then I'll see what I have and let everyone know

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
If somehow you could find a small bowl blank that won’t go to 🤢Texas,:taunt:I would love to get my yankee paws on one.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
To be frank and honest, the quality in the spalt pattern and color variegation would be a candidate for high end furniture veneers- to stretch the material for more production to get the most out of the material.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
To be frank and honest, the quality in the spalt pattern and color variegation would be a candidate for high end furniture veneers- to stretch the material for more production to get the most out of the material.
Well. I am Frank. So now all we have to be is honest... and that is awesome. Honestly. A buddy of mine claimed he had set a csm up to cut 1/4 inch slices but I never saw it in action. The wide bandsaw slabber by Matt Cremona did some, I think 1/2 inch and vacuum kilned it then used it as veneer basically. I have split some cherry at 7/16th but didn't have the end sealed well enough. It split.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Well. I am Frank. So now all we have to be is honest... and that is awesome. Honestly. A buddy of mine claimed he had set a csm up to cut 1/4 inch slices but I never saw it in action. The wide bandsaw slabber by Matt Cremona did some, I think 1/2 inch and vacuum kilned it then used it as veneer basically. I have split some cherry at 7/16th but didn't have the end sealed well enough. It split.
That is way too thick, I am talking about veneer sheets, but those thickness dimensions would suit a laminate tops for electric guitar or electric bass guitar.

Eric- I roughed it out for you 😉. You can book-match it or use a sequential match sets to further extend in length or width. Bench, console table, hall table, end table, etc.. Guitars would work nicely too…….

81948308-8786-421C-B442-5BF74BE2A4D3.jpeg

8E813F5D-06AF-4DB0-BA91-090CCABC784D.jpeg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Man you gotta love what an ambrosia beetle does to maples.