• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

another mystery wood

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Hoping someone might recognize this, or give me a clue. I found it cut up, this piece is about 6" diameter, don't know it it was a small tree, or a trimmed branch. Very heavy for its size, and seems very hard. all the pieces I saw had the same lumpy surface. the compound leaves are quite small... the the endgrain is about 1/2" square through a 20x loupe. Any ideas??? m.jpg m1.jpg m2.JPG m3.JPG

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I will take a wild guess and say it looks like a fruit tree wood. Like a pear or plum tree.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Sorry Guys,

Nothing jumps at me right now. Look forward to seeing the blistered grain.

What kind of Boxwoods grow in your area?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Sorry Guys,

Nothing jumps at me right now. Look forward to seeing the blistered grain.

What kind of Boxwoods grow in your area?
I'm not sure, but I did compare box wood leaves, and they looked different..... edit, Must have been looking at something else, the leaves do resemble boxwood, form what I can find, Japanese boxwood is common here, but it is a shrub, normally used like a hedge or topiary....

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Leaves remind me of 'bunya-bunya' (Araucaria bidwillii). However, 'Bunya pine' is a soft wood.

The wood looks similar to 'Mockorange (Philadelphus spp.) however they are supposed to have a soft pith and yours does not.

So look into 'Orange jasmine', Murryiana spp.

Nothing is really coming to mind other than asking your county co-op master gardeners, local DNR office or local plant nurseries.

Sorry Barry.

Do look forward to more pictures of the wood.