Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Another odd thing: Querbracho Bark Powder (Ebonize Wood best)

Discussion in 'Woodworking-Related Items For Sale, Trade, or WTB' started by Joe Williams, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Joe
    Hi All!

I spent $26 for a pound of Querbracho with shipping which is a high tannin bark powder used primarily for tanning hides. I bought it as a solution to make a bark tea which is painted on wood before ferrous oxide is used to make wood much blacker and darker. It really makes a big difference.

It's hard to get certain woods super black like oak and maple and this in my experience makes it work perfectly. I learned this the hard way of course and couldn't get things black enough and had to find this stuff to fix a project that would not get dark enough.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up here is that like all the stupid things that 10 and 20 dollar us to death, if someone would like a little I can ship it in few ounce package for a few bucks (I think it's 3.47 from USPS) I don't want to charge for the material, I'd rather share for people that need it and I am not going to ever use it all.

I bought it from Vandykes Taxidermy if anyone needs a source for a larger amount. I hope more people post stuff like this, I have so much more of things than I will ever use as a hobbiest type. Let me know if you want some and I'll figure out how to ship it for 3.50 and you can just send me the shipping. Or if you are smarter about shipping than me, let me know how to best send it to you cheapest. Maybe I can use an envelope.

The bark tea is easy to prepare and can be made up right before using it. A heaping tablespoon of bark powder in a pint of hot tap water, stir it up well and paint it on before the oxide solution. So you do not need much, a pound which I had to buy is silly.

Here is an ash video, really nice and dark using it

An article
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/ebonizing_wood

Thanks
    Joe

0227182123_HDR[1].jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  2. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I'm interested in trying it. How much would a few spoons full shipped to me cost?

3. Joe Williams

First name:
    Joe
    I don't think anything worth mentioning, send me your address and I will put it in a baggy and envelope, have to figure out what to send, haven't shipped anything this small before

4. against.the.grain

against.the.grain Member Full Member

First name:
    Shane
    Interesting. Walnut has a high tannin content too. I wonder if walnut bark would do the same.

5. ClintW

ClintW Member Full Member

First name:
    Clinton
    I have used a strong brewed cheap coffee before to get a similar effect. If I remember it makes a more grayish black though.

6. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Thanks for sharing

7. Joe Williams

First name:
    Joe
    Not sure about walnut, I watched a video ages ago where a guy tried a lot of different things on walnut and walnut was definitely the best at becoming black without the Querbracho but using the Querbracho on it made it black as night. I guess the stuff is used to tan hides, what would be cool is to test it on a piece of maple to see.

You should send me your addresses to get you some and then test it for us haha.

8. against.the.grain

against.the.grain Member Full Member

First name:
    Shane
    Sure, I’ll try it out. I’ve used iron acetate on walnut and Osage. The walnut was as black as a gorilla’s rearend. The Osage was almost black but with a little 0000 steel wool after it dried and there was green hiding underneath.
    Send me a pm with your PayPal and I’ll cover shipping and give you my address. I have some walnut bark too, maybe I can do a side by side comparison.

9. Bill12035

Bill12035 Member Full Member

First name:
    William
    I have a bunch of Ash above the garage. I'd like to try it. PM me your paypal and I'll send payment and address. Thank you very much.

Bill

10. tocws2002

tocws2002 Member Full Member

First name:
    -jason
    Do you think this stuff would ebonize a birch rifle stock? I have a Marlin 60 stock I've been wanting to redo and thought a deep black might look good. I'd like to try a little if you happen to have any left.

Thanks,

-jason

11. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    It's all about perspective Joe. You are looking at it through a woodworkers perspective. A Taxidermist's perspective would be complaining that they don't sell it in large enough quantities!! :wink:

12. Bill12035

First name:
    William
    Hi Joe,

What ever came of you selling some of this? I never received a PM. Thanks.

Bill

13. Joe Williams

First name:
    Joe
    Sorry I thought I did that, will do

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Joe Williams

First name:
    Joe
    Well that in combination with the iron juice it may, send me your address in a pm and I'll send you some :)

15. Joe Williams

First name:
    Joe
    Send me your address :)

16. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    VanDyks used to be about 30 miles from me not sure where they are headquarters at now.

17. tocws2002

First name:
    -jason
    Just curious if any one received bark powder from Joe. If so, have you tried it out? What kind of wood and how were the results?

I have a rifle stock I am wanting to ebonize and plan on using this method if others have success.

Thanks,

-jason

18. Bill12035

First name:
    William
    I haven't. I asked him about it a month ago or so and he said he forgot about it. He was going to send it to me. I pm'ed him on the 12th and asked him if he'd sent it but he hasn't been back on since the 8th so I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Bill

19. tocws2002

First name:
    -jason

Thanks, same thing here, I've sent a couple of PMs but haven't heard anything. Not a big deal, but I am curious to see if others have had any luck using it as I may purchase some to try out on the rifle stock.

Thanks,

-jason

20. ClintW

ClintW Member Full Member

First name:
    Clinton
    Try some other high tannin materials. Black tea brewed strong might do the same thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
Current Time: 1:27 PM