Anti-aging - Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
First name
Brad
Although pressurized oxygen chambers have been around for decades apparently the first anti-aging study using them has just been published and the results are amazing to say the least. What's now known is that this kind of oxygen therapy elongates what are known as your cell's telomeres, the shortening of which are directly related to, and may possibly be the cause of aging. To make a long story short, influencing telomere length is THE holy grail of anti-aging research.

So what's involved in a treatment session is getting yourself into a pressurized vessel not unlike a large propane tank. 100% oxygen is pumped in until 2.5 - 3 atmospheres is reached. Depending on what condition the therapy is prescribed for these sessions can last anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours. The benefits of pressurized oxygen have been long established and are far too long to list, from wounds that won't heal to stroke and pre-stroke victims.

The problem is that, although this therapy is technically fairly simple, it remains extremely expensive and can only be had through a doctor's prescription. Until this research was published a few months ago it wasn't known just how beneficial this therapy could be to the average person and has been reserved for patients with debilitating conditions. So my question is, how do I make one of these things happen?

Here's an example of a homemade version I think is very doable...

Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber (homemade)

So what are your all's ideas on making one of these? Where would you go to find a chamber like that for starting material?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have a lot of experience around chambers from Navy days, you're right, they are very expensive to maintain, and require a very high level of training to operate, no way in hell I would get inside someone's home made chamber.... But I do agree oxygen under pressure appears to be highly beneficial, I can think of at least 2 cases where the treatment saved the lives of people, one a gunshot wound, and the other a near drowning. In the Navy it requires the oversight of a "Master Diver", the highest level of trained diver, to run a chamber, I personally would be very skeptical of a DIY chamber, or it's operator...

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
First name
Brad
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree there's a lot of ways something like this could go bad. I was wrong about one thing though...it turns out the people who build these for themselves actually don't load it with 100% oxygen. Instead they pressurize with regular air and breath oxygen through a mask.