• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Any and all advice appreciated...cracked resin

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Hello all,

As these things go, I was doing everything right (I think)...newly sharpened tool, low speed, and so on.

Of course, the tool caught and opened a crack in the resin that runs from inside to out. A few more smaller cracks opened up as well. I stopped there and pulled it off the lathe.

What is to be done? I tried to stop the bleeding by using superglue, but the cracks are still visible (and painfully obvious). I even pulled it out to see if I could force some new resin into the cracks with the pressure pot, but no luck...the new resin stuck everywhere but the cracks!

What options do I have?

Ignore it and keep going?

Try the resin again and see if I can fix the cracks that way?

I even pondered just seeing if I could melt the resin free with acetone and recasting that way.

What do you think?

20210713_203712.jpg

20210713_203655.jpg

20210713_203704.jpg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Can you take a dremel and make a trough along the crack and fill with a different color resin? Would probably need to do several all around the bowl in different places to make it look like you're not covering a mistake. Just my thoughts. Don't know if it will work

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Can you take a dremel and make a trough along the crack and fill with a different color resin? Would probably need to do several all around the bowl in different places to make it look like you're not covering a mistake. Just my thoughts. Don't know if it will work
That's a pretty good idea ... I'm definitely at the "try anything" point.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
As my wife likes to say, ’you can’t see it from a galloping horse’ so just fill those cracks in with some flexible CA glue or epoxy. It will add character to the piece which started out as a flawed piece of wood anyway.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
This doesn't help on getting this piece fixed, but something that might help going forward.

Was the wood stabilized prior to casting? My experience has been that wood that has been stabilized before casting produces a much better result. It looks like the cracking may radiate out from where the resin and wood meet, suggesting a poor bond of the resin and wood. Stabilized wood will usually bond better with the resin than unstabilized wood. Just my experience - I've not done any casting myself, but that has been my results in turning castings with wood.other material that has been stabilized vs. not.

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
This doesn't help on getting this piece fixed, but something that might help going forward.

Was the wood stabilized prior to casting? My experience has been that wood that has been stabilized before casting produces a much better result. It looks like the cracking may radiate out from where the resin and wood meet, suggesting a poor bond of the resin and wood. Stabilized wood will usually bond better with the resin than unstabilized wood. Just my experience - I've not done any casting myself, but that has been my results in turning castings with wood.other material that has been stabilized vs. not.
A good point ... this was the first "big" attempt. My smaller hybrid castings of pens and stoppers usually worked perfectly, but I think the weight of the resin vs. wood may force me to stabilize as well.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I think you are probably right. I , too, have turned punky pens poured in epoxy with decent results. I think the key is going to be sandpaper for finishing this one :cool: . Going forward, I would certainly use a feather touch on this bowl. Mostly scraping from here on to final. But; I am not a bowl turner. So... that will be all from the peanut gallery