Any bowl segmenting people out there?

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
I have wanted to try some segmenting on bowls, I have my cut off sled ready & my stop for lengths, my only question is how thick the segments should be? Or what have yall done as far as thickness? What's too thin? Total novice here, but ready to learn & branch out more other than smaller bowls & pens. Thanks so much for the info in advance!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Anxious to see the responses here! I've seen several in the past, some of which are beyond awesome! Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
First on I ever did I just used 3/4" stock and then cut it to various lengths as I went along to make the rings. You can also add thinner pieces between the thicker rings for visual effect. Different colors of woods etc. It's all up to the maker. They can be simple to very complex.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I am not a bowl turner as of the moment but I am a bowl inspector. :cowboy: I have run up on everything from 3 species glued side by side leaving a vertical stripe bowl, to a cousin who makes bowls with a 3 and 4 digit piece count. As does our "LAMPSHADE" turner here on woodbarter.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I've done some, use what thickness works for you. Just make sure all the pieces you use for each ring are the same. You can vary from ring to ring but it's important that they are the same for individual rings.

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do nothing but segmented bowls (well over 500 so far) but not the kind you are probably thinking of. You can see mine here and beyond:

www.phinds.com/bowlcentral/
Thank you for sharing your bowls! They are awesome! I wondered if what I had in my head (kinda the same, but a little different) would work. Now I see how you put them together kinda. I'll try one soon & see how it goes.

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
First on I ever did I just used 3/4" stock and then cut it to various lengths as I went along to make the rings. You can also add thinner pieces between the thicker rings for visual effect. Different colors of woods etc. It's all up to the maker. They can be simple to very complex.
I was wondering if some of my 3/4" would be to thin. I'm assuming it works ok?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@larry C does a lot of segmented turnings if I remember correctly. Maybe he'll have some input as well. I think his stuff has a gazillion pieces!

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Here's on of my lampshades, with and without the light turned on. There are 3,168 pieces, 45 layers of 72 pieces each. This one took about
3 weeks or so, and was made from "odds and ends" left over from other projects.
Larry

1625925786501.png 1625925852374.png

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Here's on of my lampshades, with and without the light turned on. There are 3,168 pieces, 45 layers of 72 pieces each. This one took about
3 weeks or so, and was made from "odds and ends" left over from other projects.
Larry

View attachment 212431View attachment 212432
That is awesome! Maybe one day I could get to that place of making a few like that but I can barely keep up with my 10 fingers much less 3,000 + pieces just yetšŸ¤£

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Is there a program or Anything that helps with how long to make the segments to form a decent shape bowl? Im so anxious to start, but can't figure out how long each piece in the different rings should be to get larger or smaller in diameter. Thank Ya'll for all your input so far!

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Is there a program or Anything that helps with how long to make the segments to form a decent shape bowl? Im so anxious to start, but can't figure out how long each piece in the different rings should be to get larger or smaller in diameter. Thank Ya'll for all your input so far!

I use "Seg Pro" and a jig made by Tom Lohman....it makes design and assembly a lot easier. If you're serious about segmented turning, both open and closed, make yourself a "wedgie sled", and get the individual wedge from "Jerry Bennet". This is the quickest and most accurate system that I've used......good luck!

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
I use "Seg Pro" and a jig made by Tom Lohman....it makes design and assembly a lot easier. If you're serious about segmented turning, both open and closed, make yourself a "wedgie sled", and get the individual wedge from "Jerry Bennet". This is the quickest and most accurate system that I've used......good luck!
I've got a wedgie sled, didn't know about "seg pro" though! Thank you so much!