Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Also, just use some pine or something crappy when you first start cutting to get an idea of how things go. Then move on to your better scrap wood, lol.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have made lots of segmented forms, no bowls though. I use wedges and my table saw cross cut sled. A chopsaw will work but not as well... Will post some pics when I get back, am traveling now...

Last edited:

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank Ya'll! I'll take a look at it see what I can find.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I am new to segmenting and still find it very confusing, i am still working on the sled. Check out segmented turning on Utube you will find more information than you need

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I have made lots of segmented forms, no bowls though. I use wedges and my table saw cross cut sled. A chopsaw will work but not as well... Will post some pics when I get back, am traveling now...
Would you be able to post those pictures now? Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Segmented turning was the reason I purchased a incra miter 1000 HD miter gage. And now that I have it it's my go to miter gage for all things. It's now set up on my new saw. They make a small sled that I can attach and remove the gage to when needed and I'm thinking of getting that. A good miter gage is very helpful to get accurate angles for the glue up.

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
There's nothing standard. It all comes out in the design. I saw one woman turner at the Bellevue Arts Fair that made large turnings made with segments 1/8" square. It was mind boggling how many pieces there were. IIRC, the sign said 6000.

For me 3/4" thick is a starting point, but I'll go thinner for smaller turnings and larger for bigger turnings. This one used 1" thick pieces for the maple parts.

1629304135340.png

ebill

Reaction score
First name
Bill
ebill that is a neat calculator how do you get it, is there more
- I don't think its a 'get it' kind of program. You just use it on the web page. Don't know if there is any 'more' ... I just ran across it while trying to understand segmenting when I was first starting to segment.

- ebill

ebill

Reaction score
First name
Bill
There's nothing standard. It all comes out in the design. I saw one woman turner at the Bellevue Arts Fair that made large turnings made with segments 1/8" square. It was mind boggling how many pieces there were. IIRC, the sign said 6000.

For me 3/4" thick is a starting point, but I'll go thinner for smaller turnings and larger for bigger turnings. This one used 1" thick pieces for the maple parts.

- great looking turning. Can I ask what you used for the black rings/accents ?

- ebill

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
i found a segment calculator i the google play store on my phone search segment calculator. Stephan Ogle mentioned it in one of his videos