Any idea.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Bark got pulled off. Smells sweet and smokey.
A friend asked what is it. When it gets cut down I will get more pics.

Screenshot_20220622-184805_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-184753_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-184742_Messenger.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Damn tree things !

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Leaf margins too smooth for alder and the veins don't end at a point. I see the catalpa, but shape not like our southern (they are heart shaped). However, possible is Western Catalpa, but still appears more slender than Mike's tree. And I would expect to see some seed pods - still hanging from last year or on the ground underneath. Almost anything else I would guess would have a waxier/shinier leaf or straighter veins or compound leaves.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Leaf margins too smooth for alder and the veins don't end at a point. I see the catalpa, but shape not like our southern (they are heart shaped). However, possible is Western Catalpa, but still appears more slender than Mike's tree. And I would expect to see some seed pods - still hanging from last year or on the ground underneath.
I do not think it is Catalpa but...

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Actually the first thing I thought about was pawpaw, but since they don't live there and the veins are straight and are often more shiny - I said nawnaw.

Last edited:

Joker9

Surprize, AZ
Reaction score
First name
Peter
This looks close . Ailanthus Altissima, Tree of Heaven, If the leaves are lined up as pic below. Cant tell from the pics Mike.

1656033718640.png

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Clearer pics of leaves and bark would help with id, but my guess is also a Northern Catalpa tree that’s dying.

Below are pics of my Southern Catalpa tree that’s about 4ft in diameter. Old and new bean pods are showing, but maybe a dying tree doesn’t have reason to have bean pods. Just noticed Catalpa worms are finally back after being gone for many years so that may be a good sign for their recovery.
49DA81C1-B88B-4545-A5D8-5EA4E1E06610.jpeg DA04145D-A7F8-4EFB-A59F-4A1EFC2F6F4B.jpeg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
How large are the leaves?

In the Midwest the Northern catalpa leaves are all large and heart shaped. Six to ten inches is common. If the leaves are that large, I tend to agree with Karl that it's a catalpa in decline.

If the leaves are that large, don't know what else it could be with that size and "general" shape of them.

Last edited: