any one want to make wood, titanium, resin turning blanks

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
got some titanium sponge crystal the other day, wondering if it could be cast with wood and resin for turning, here are some pictures of the titanium setting on a small block of wood. any body with thoughts on this

KIMG3085.JPG

KIMG3086.JPG

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
How would you cut that stuff?

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
not sure, hoping someone on here could offer up ideas, it can be broken into smaller pieces, such that it wouldn't be out in the area needing to be turned,

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
im thinking a blank maple burl, with natural spiky face, cut a recess in the middle top to set in a piece of the crystals, cats over the top with transparent resin, then turn a sphere, with the crystal forest in the middle,setting on the wood surrounded by resin.

so imagine this with a crystal forest on the wood in the middle

20180416_201742.jpg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Yes. I am sure it would kill high speed steel tools. Only thing if it protruded slightly would be diamond whetstone type on a grinder or something. I was just wondering if anyone tried it yet? I saw no follow up talk.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
i was really looking for some one who could make me what i described in exchange for the remainder of a piece of the sponge

i could sell some, but was really looking for some one who could make a sphere as described

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I am ok with casting. I am not very far into lathe work. I would love to attempt the sphere but haven't done one yet. Was working on a flame box rolling pin when you answered. Have cast a few smaller items like flood coating a walnut countertop. Let me gather up some maple burl and try the sphere for my own entertainment and if I can satisfy myself on that we will see if you still got sponge left to play with.

16137895873176040581782102983755.jpg

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
I am ok with casting. I am not very far into lathe work. I would love to attempt the sphere but haven't done one yet. Was working on a flame box rolling pin when you answered. Have cast a few smaller items like flood coating a walnut countertop. Let me gather up some maple burl and try the sphere for my own entertainment and if I can satisfy myself on that we will see if you still got sponge left to play with.

View attachment 203432
ok

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
You can cut titanium with carbide tooling, but doing it by hand on a wood lathe without coolant sounds painfully slow. I have used my carbide insert wood lathe tools to turn metal many times, but not taking a lot of material off. Plus the material properties between metal and hardened resin are so different that it could be tough to get a uniform surface and finish. Seems like a better job for a CNC lathe.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
You can cut titanium with carbide tooling, but doing it by hand on a wood lathe without coolant sounds painfully slow. I have used my carbide insert wood lathe tools to turn metal many times, but not taking a lot of material off. Plus the material properties between metal and hardened resin are so different that it could be tough to get a uniform surface and finish. Seems like a better job for a CNC lathe.
fully encased indie the resin would preclude need for any cutting of titannium